No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer dimer problem

Hello,

I have just finished prepping multiplex samples for paired end Illumina sequencing using NEB products but after a bioanalyzer I have a lot of primer dimer at 75bp and around 120bp which seems even stronger than my bands at 300bp.
    The sequencing facility does not want to sequence them due to the primer dimer problem.

Anybody else having the same problem?

I was suggested to re-gel purify all the samples but I am afraid that I will end up with not enough DNA to sequence.

Any other suggestion or the effect it could have if we sequence it like this?

Attached is a picture of the caliper data.

Thank you,
    Attached Files

If you sequence it like this, you will lose a lot of data due to the machine just sequencing primer dimers.
    You could size select using AMPure beads. That will give you better yield than gel extraction.
    When you do your ligations next time, use less adapter and be sure to add the ligase last to your reactions, not in a master mix.

Comment

Originally posted by pbluescript View Post
      If you sequence it like this, you will lose a lot of data due to the machine just sequencing primer dimers.
      You could size select using AMPure beads. That will give you better yield than gel extraction.
      When you do your ligations next time, use less adapter and be sure to add the ligase last to your reactions, not in a master mix.
      Thank you very much for your answer.

I will look into Ampure beads for the cleanup.
      But I believe the primer diner occurs during the pcr enrichment step since after the ligation I gel purify my samples.

Comment

Sorry, I shouldn't have said primer dimers. They would be more accurately described as adapter-adapter ligations. The primers are nowhere near 120bp in length, so what you are actually amplifying are adapters that ligated to each other rather than to your sample. My suggestions for altering your ligation reaction should help with that.

Comment

Hi,

One stupid question; are you sure it's primer dimer?, or maybe it could be a double strain adapter-adapter construct which is amplified after the pcr.

Comment

Originally posted by cascoamarillo View Post
            Hi,

One stupid question; are you sure it's primer dimer?, or maybe it could be a double strain adapter-adapter construct which is amplified after the pcr.
            I assume that the 75 bp peak is unreacted primer and that the 150 bp peak is a ligation artifact of two primers ligating together. But I thought it was the enrichment primers and not the ligation adapters.

The way I made my multiplex the barcodes were added with the adapters and not with the enrichment pcr.

Please let me know if that helps and thank you.

Comment

Sorry, I shouldn't have said primer dimers. They would be more accurately described as adapter-adapter ligations. The primers are nowhere near 120bp in length, so what you are actually amplifying are adapters that ligated to each other rather than to your sample. My suggestions for altering your ligation reaction should help with that.
              So if I understand correctly, I should use less enrichment primers?

Comment

Originally posted by cybeline View Post
                So if I understand correctly, I should use less enrichment primers?
                You should use less of the adapters that you ligated to your sample, not less enrichment primers. A 10:1 molar ratio at most, but I usually use less. If you have too many of them during your ligation reaction, they will end up ligating to each other and then that will end up amplifying in your enrichment PCR step. Even if you size selected with an agarose gel, you can still get some, especially if you used a razor to cut out bands. Since they are smaller than your sample+adapter, the adapter-only ligation products can dominate the reaction even if they are at a lower concentration than your sample to begin with.

Comment

You should use less of the adapters that you ligated to your sample, not less enrichment primers. A 10:1 molar ratio at most, but I usually use less. If you have too many of them during your ligation reaction, they will end up ligating to each other and then that will end up amplifying in your enrichment PCR step. Even if you size selected with an agarose gel, you can still get some, especially if you used a razor to cut out bands. Since they are smaller than your sample+adapter, the adapter-only ligation products can dominate the reaction even if they are at a lower concentration than your sample to begin with.

Could you please expand on the role of the razor to cut the gel? Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by cybeline View Post

Could you please expand on the role of the razor to cut the gel? Thanks again
                    Sure. The razor is usually very long compared to the region of the gel you want to cut out. It will touch lots of other sizes of DNA in the gel, which can lead to intra-sample contamination with sizes you didn't originally intend to be in your sample. I got better results when I purchased some gel cutting tips or used AMpure beads for size selection.
                    Taking a look at your gel, did you cut out everything between 300-400bp for samples CB5-8?

Comment

Sure. The razor is usually very long compared to the region of the gel you want to cut out. It will touch lots of other sizes of DNA in the gel, which can lead to intra-sample contamination with sizes you didn't originally intend to be in your sample. I got better results when I purchased some gel cutting tips or used AMpure beads for size selection.
                      Taking a look at your gel, did you cut out everything between 300-400bp for samples CB5-8?
                      Yes. That gel is after everything, just before submitting it to sequencing.
                      They suggested to re-gel purify all the samples between 300 to 400. So far I have done cb1-4 but I obtained final concentration of 1 to 4 ng/ul so around 4.5 to 17 nM final concentration. I lost a lot of dna from the 2nd purification.

Comment

I've had the same issue but routinely use a second gel purification to fix this. Although, you absolutely lose some DNA with the second gel purification. I use the Qiagen Minelute kit to elute with a smaller volume (10-12ul) in order to increase the concentration. This seems to do the trick nicely. I haven't played around with the AMpure beads but will be doing so soon.

Comment

I had the same problem(s). To get rid of the adaptor-adaptor dimers I now do size selection using 2% E-gel (great because you can also select more than one single fraction, so you have a backup in case something goes wrong during the pre-amplification step). And you don't need an additional purification step, just pipette out the water (containing your DNA) from the well. To remove the primer dimers I use AMPure XP (1.8:1 ratio) which removes (almost) 100% of the fragments <100 bp.

Comment

Those are great answers, thank you very much!

Simone78, could you please link the E-gel? and how do you get rid of the 120bp fragments?

Thanks again,

Another question, does this happen as well while using the Illumina truseq kit?

Comment

2% SizeSelect E-gel from Invitrogen:

The peak you get on the Bioanalyzer after size selection is very narrow (see attachment) and you can collect as many fractions as you want (I usually collect 4 or 5 fractions at 30 sec interval, which corresponds to about 50 bp difference).

After AMPure XP you won't probably remove 100% of the band at 120 bp, but you'll make this fraction much smaller than after Qiagen columns (for example).
                              Playing with the ratio DNA/beads might further improve the final results, but I haven't tried it yet.

Sorry, no experience with the truseq kit. I'm using a modified version of the PE Illumina protocol for whole methylome seq.
                              Last edited by Simone78; 08-24-2017, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                              0 responses