Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have attached an image showing the effect of altering the ratio of AMPure beads/sample. You can see that using a lower ratio will remove increasing sizes of DNA fragments. You can even use this for size selection by using two different concentrations. For example, if you wanted to get a band centered ~400 bp, you could use 0.7X beads and then take the supernatant. This would include all the DNA fragments that were smaller than ~500bp and didn't bind to the beads. Then mix the supernatant with 0.9X beads and everything larger than ~300bp would bind. Elute the bound DNA and you'll have a fairly broad, but good enough to sequence, library.
    If you try the beads, there can be a bit of lot-to-lot variability, so I would test them with a 100 bp library as I did in this gel.

I haven't used the Truseq kit, but I have used the Truseq adapters with outsourced enzymes/buffers and the same problem can occur.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pbluescript View Post
      I have attached an image showing the effect of altering the ratio of AMPure beads/sample. You can see that using a lower ratio will remove increasing sizes of DNA fragments. You can even use this for size selection by using two different concentrations. For example, if you wanted to get a band centered ~400 bp, you could use 0.7X beads and then take the supernatant. This would include all the DNA fragments that were smaller than ~500bp and didn't bind to the beads. Then mix the supernatant with 0.9X beads and everything larger than ~300bp would bind. Elute the bound DNA and you'll have a fairly broad, but good enough to sequence, library.
      If you try the beads, there can be a bit of lot-to-lot variability, so I would test them with a 100 bp library as I did in this gel.

I haven't used the Truseq kit, but I have used the Truseq adapters with outsourced enzymes/buffers and the same problem can occur.
      This is great, thank you.

So do you only use this once after the ligation step? or also in the very end to make sure the libraries are fully cleaned?

Thanks again.

Comment

It depends on the sample and what you want to sequence, but in your case you could use 1.1X or 1.2X beads to remove the adapter-adapter ligations and retain your 300-400 bp library. This would retain more DNA than doing another gel extraction.

Comment

It depends on the sample and what you want to sequence, but in your case you could use 1.1X or 1.2X beads to remove the adapter-adapter ligations and retain your 300-400 bp library. This would retain more DNA than doing another gel extraction.
          Thank you.

Comment

Hello everyone,

I made libraries that I sent to some lab for sequencing and also got tons of these artefacts/adaptor dimers. My problem is that I work with very degraded DNA so my library is around 150bp...too close to get rid of the 130bp artefact. Does anyone knows the sequence of the artefact? Are the dimers truly form the adaptors or could they come from P1.1 and P2.1?

I'm at loss.
            Best,
            Odile

Comment

Originally posted by odile View Post
              Hello everyone,

I made libraries that I sent to some lab for sequencing and also got tons of these artefacts/adaptor dimers. My problem is that I work with very degraded DNA so my library is around 150bp...too close to get rid of the 130bp artefact. Does anyone knows the sequence of the artefact? Are the dimers truly form the adaptors or could they come from P1.1 and P2.1?

I'm at loss.
              Best,
              Odile
              At 120bp, it is almost certainly adapter-adapter ligations. They will be sequenced by the machine and you will probably end up with lots of identical reads that match the adapter sequence.

Comment

I was interested in the double size selection and I found this paper:
                This strategy is broadly applicable to sequencing applications that benefit from low-cost high-throughput sequencing, but require longer read lengths. We demonstrate that our approach enables metagenomic analyses using the Illumina Genome Analyzer, with low error rates, and at a fraction of the cost …

unfortunately, beside the batch-to-batch variability, I was never able to get a 100% pure fraction. I always had some degree of "contamination" from shorter or longer fragments (visible at Bionalyzer, I never run them on a regular agarose gel). Therefore I chose the E-gels and I am very happy with that.

Comment

At 120bp, it is almost certainly adapter-adapter ligations. They will be sequenced by the machine and you will probably end up with lots of identical reads that match the adapter sequence.
                  Yes, I had tons in my first run .
                  I'm surprised Illumina doesn't try to improve their adaptors to avoid such issues.

Comment

I also use the E-gel 2% size select gels following amplification. This gets rid of all the adaptor species in the libraries. I typically have plenty of library for sequencing.

Comment

Hello JHU-ChIPmaniac,
                      I am thinking about using the E-gel as well.
                      I have one question to the E-gel following amplification.
                      What kind of PCR purification do you do before running the gel cassette?
                      Or have you made the experience that their is no step in between needed?
                      Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dagmar View Post
                        Hello JHU-ChIPmaniac,
                        I am thinking about using the E-gel as well.
                        I have one question to the E-gel following amplification.
                        What kind of PCR purification do you do before running the gel cassette?
                        Or have you made the experience that their is no step in between needed?
                        Thanks!!!
                        I don't usually do a PCR cleanup but if I do I just use the Qiagen PCR cleanup but this is usually just to reduce the volume so I can load everything into 1 well.

Comment

Originally posted by Simone78 View Post
                          I had the same problem(s). To get rid of the adaptor-adaptor dimers I now do size selection using 2% E-gel (great because you can also select more than one single fraction, so you have a backup in case something goes wrong during the pre-amplification step). And you don't need an additional purification step, just pipette out the water (containing your DNA) from the well. To remove the primer dimers I use AMPure XP (1.8:1 ratio) which removes (almost) 100% of the fragments <100 bp.
                          Can you give us any good advice which ratio of Ampure beads and sample one should use in oder to get rid of 120-130 bp fragments.
                          As far as I understood the more beads you use the more bigger fragments
                          you capture so the ratio shold be < 1.8 : 1 correct?
                          Thanks!

Comment

Hi everyone,
                            last month I used the Truseq kit for RNAseq by Illumina and it worked like a charm. Previously I had to do 2-3 gel purifications in the end, but with this kit and the AMPpure beads I got a really clean picture in the end, with no adapter dimers or anything. I am new to all this, but these beads seem to do a very good job. Here is a picture of my libraries, before size selection. The sequencing worked fine and I got ~60M reads and ~92% of them were mappable to the mm9 so I guess that I got rid of most of the dimers.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dagmar View Post
                              Can you give us any good advice which ratio of Ampure beads and sample one should use in oder to get rid of 120-130 bp fragments.
                              As far as I understood the more beads you use the more bigger fragments
                              you capture so the ratio shold be < 1.8 : 1 correct?
                              Thanks!
                              Read post 16 in this thread.

Comment

some suggestion on gel purification

You should use less of the adapters that you ligated to your sample, not less enrichment primers. A 10:1 molar ratio at most, but I usually use less. If you have too many of them during your ligation reaction, they will end up ligating to each other and then that will end up amplifying in your enrichment PCR step. Even if you size selected with an agarose gel, you can still get some, especially if you used a razor to cut out bands. Since they are smaller than your sample+adapter, the adapter-only ligation products can dominate the reaction even if they are at a lower concentration than your sample to begin with.
                                Hi, just one comment.
                                I do think the gel purification will help, if the inserted DNA size is big enough (above 100bp). And instead of using agarose gel, you can try use PAGE gel, which give you better separation. And you can just break the PAGE gel into smaller pieces and do the PCR.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                                0 responses