Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by csquared View Post
    It provides a "pad" for the primers to anneal for the sequencing versus amplification primers. Hard to explain in perfect detail in text but if you diagram the amplicon and draw where each primer starts and ends, the role of the pad is a bit easier to see. The primer pad is the same as the 5'-end of the sequencing primers (read 1 and read 2) and the same as the 3' end of the index read primer.

Note that the 2011 Caporaso PNAS paper may have a typo in the sequences shown in Figure 1. Unless I'm missing something, the Read 2 sequencing primer and the Index read primer are not compatible with each other. One of them has a typo and I think the Index sequence is correct and matches the primer sequence list provided in supplemental material in that paper or one of his other recent papers.
    Has the "primer pad" to be adjusted for the amplified 16S region?

Comment

Primers for V4 region

Hi,

I am new to the forum and extremely new to Illumina. I am planning to amplify the V4 region of Bacterial 16S rRNA. I look forward to learn very basic protocol of the PCR amplification, PCR program for the same. Also about what primer sets I can use? Are Adapters included in the primer? What is a barcode ? Is it employed during the pcr amplification or during the sequencing? How to choose it ?
      I want to just amplify the desired fragment and send it for sequencing. Please help.
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Kumari Richa View Post
        Hi,

I am new to the forum and extremely new to Illumina. I am planning to amplify the V4 region of Bacterial 16S rRNA. I look forward to learn very basic protocol of the PCR amplification, PCR program for the same. Also about what primer sets I can use? Are Adapters included in the primer? What is a barcode ? Is it employed during the pcr amplification or during the sequencing? How to choose it ?
        I want to just amplify the desired fragment and send it for sequencing. Please help.
        Thanks
        Here is a link to the App Note that Illumina has for 16S sequencing: http://res.illumina.com/documents/pr..._miseq_16s.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Kumari Richa View Post
          Hi,

Thanks
          If you haven't done so already read the Caporaso (2011) paper (see References in he Illumina App Note that GenoMax linked to above.) This paper is from Rob Knight's lab, the folks that wrote QIIME, one of the more popular tools for analyzing 16S sequence data.

There is also this detailed protocol from Patrick Schloss' lab posted here. The Schloss lab wrote mothur, another popular tool for 16S sequence analysis.

Comment

We have successfully run v4 16s samples on the MiSeq using the Caporaso method and the Bioo Scientific product, which is just a kitted version of the Caporaso method. Both have worked with MiSeq Reporter, but our Bioinformatics group have also run their own analyses. As a service provider in a core facility I prefer the convenience of the kit, but that's just my preference. We have been using about a 10% phiX spike in with the newest version of the MiSeq software.

Comment

Dual Index method published by Pat Schloss

Pat Schloss has published a dual index method for v4 in AEM.

Interstingly he gets better quality with the shorter v4 amplicon than the longer v3-v4.

I've also designed a v3-v4 dual index assay based on the ARB recommendations for primers and it works quite well.

Bob

Comment

I'm interested in your V3-V4 design. Is it published somewhere? Anyone have success using these primers for other variable 16S domains?

Comment

Dual Index method

No it's not published yet, but it will be submitted as part of a paper in about three weeks. PM and I can send you the details.

We used the Illumina barcodes for the first 20 primers (8 fwd, 12 rev) and then designed another two sets using the Faircloth & Glenn edit_metric 4 sequence tags. We also designed a set for archaea that we are testing next week.

Comment

Originally posted by scotto View Post
                    We have successfully run v4 16s samples on the MiSeq using the Caporaso method and the Bioo Scientific product, which is just a kitted version of the Caporaso method.
                    Did you run human genomic DNA as input? If so, how much do you recommend as input? I took a look at Bioo's kit and they used 50 ng of bacterial DNA as input. Understand this for straight bacterial ID but would like to use for metagenomic screen.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by epistatic View Post
                      Did you run human genomic DNA as input? If so, how much do you recommend as input? I took a look at Bioo's kit and they used 50 ng of bacterial DNA as input. Understand this for straight bacterial ID but would like to use for metagenomic screen.

Thank you!
                      We used it for microbial metagenomics starting with 50 ng of DNA from a fecal extract. We didn't use any human input. We spiked in about 5-10% phiX to help the basecaller overcome the low diversity.

Comment

entire 16S region

Has anyone designed primer sets to cover the entire 16S region (not just v4)? I would be really interested in that !

- Genohub

Comment

Hi, I am new in the Forum and Illumina Miseq and I have some basic doubst that I would like to solve. I am planning on characterizing the taxonomic diversity in 40 of my samples, and amplify the V4 region of the 16S rRNA gene (the samples come from an algae and the associated bacteria that live in symbiosis on it). So I assume that the diversity within my samples will be quite low.

- As I am new, I don´t want to run all the samples at once and I was thinking to do 2 runs in Miseq, what will means 20 samples per run. But I am not sure if that will be two low.

- For what I read in the forums, I will also have to spike with phiX. Illumina recommended 5% although I have read in some posts that that might be a bit low especially for my low diversity samples.

- Also, does anybody know how many samples can be sequenced at once in the MISeq in order to be able to calculate betha diversity. I guess 20-40 samples is quite low as I see that some people run up to 400 samples at once.

Thank you!

Comment

What version of the MiSeq software are you using? The latest version has some corrections that allow you to add only 5-10% PhiX. Before the correction, it was more like 35-40% PhiX. Does anyone understand the details of this diversity "correction"?

The number of samples/lane depends on the numbers of reads you need per sample to characterize your taxonomic diversity. Check our the Caporaso paper for recommendations.

- Genohub

Comment

Originally posted by jwcimug View Post
                              Hello,

I am also interested in sequencing V4 on MiSeq for 16S studies. Can anyone recommend a good service provider to do this?

Thank you!
                              Hi, I am also planning to do 16S amplicon or rRNA sequencing using on Illumina MiSeq platform for 70 fecal samples. Can you please advise me shich one is cheapest method because I want to analysis QIIME, functional and pathways etc. Can you please also advise which one is cheapest in terms of costs for 70 samples?

Comment

16S V4 Providers

Originally posted by Nirajlincoln View Post
                                Hi, I am also planning to do 16S amplicon or rRNA sequencing using on Illumina MiSeq platform for 70 fecal samples. Can you please advise me shich one is cheapest method because I want to analysis QIIME, functional and pathways etc. Can you please also advise which one is cheapest in terms of costs for 70 samples?
                                Are you planning on doing the library preparation and sequencing yourself? Several providers on Genohub.com offer 16S V4 services. Are you interested in looking at several domains or just one domain? In either case I recommend single PCR sets where your primers contain regions variable domain flanking + seq primer regions.

- Genohub

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                                0 responses