Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyBrooks View Post
    I guess increasing read length can only go so far as there's a limit to what length insert can be successfully brPCR'd.
    Not sure this is a major issue. We did a MiSeq run with >1 kb insert amplicons. Actually the average insert sizes looked more like 1.5 kb, or even larger, but after mapping the PE reads back to an earlier de novo assembly from the same organism, the size came back just over 1 kb for most of them.

We did cluster at a pretty low density, though. See this thread for details.

--
    Phillip
    Last edited by pmiguel; 08-03-2012, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyBrooks View Post
      Internally, Illumina have run 400bp with the same 250bp chemistry and instrument upgrades and hit 80% >Q30 at 400bp (which I think is totally acceptable when comparing to 454 data - especially considering read overlap increasing the score further).
      I'm not overly worried about the chemistry, more so the box and software. The issue is pretty well defined:
      Bridged amplification & clustering followed by sequencing by synthesis. (Genome Analyzer / HiSeq / MiSeq)

Finding a workaround to make a tool work means that I have chosen the wrong tool.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGuy View Post
        I'm not overly worried about the chemistry, more so the box and software. The issue is pretty well defined:
        Bridged amplification & clustering followed by sequencing by synthesis. (Genome Analyzer / HiSeq / MiSeq)

Finding a workaround to make a tool work means that I have chosen the wrong tool.
        If you are completely fighting the tool, then I can agree. But with the MiSeq upgrade to image both surfaces, you have a lot of capacity to burn on spiked-in phiX, and putting an internal standard in is hardly unusual or a workaround.

Comment

Or the right tool doesn't exist yet, so you make do with what you have...

Comment

Confirming a couple of things from my upgrade documents...most notably from my standpoint is that the official new tile number is 14 for each surface...so 28 total up from the previous 12.

Comment

Updates to TSCA are coming at the end of the month in DesignStudio:

-Increased plexity up to 1,536 amplicons per reaction – designs covering up to ~600 kb of total content

-More flexible amplicon sizes – smaller to enable custom panel support for FFPE, and larger to take advantage of 2 Ă— 250 bp read lengths supported on the MiSeq system

-Designs for non-human genomes – Early access to selectable reference genomes for mouse, rat, and bovine

Comment

With the MiSeq software update, you can use a matrix from a different run, supposedly allowing low diversity/amplicon sequencing on the platform. Time will tell how effective that solution will be, but should work.....in theory.....

No lost reads to PhiX and no workaround. Should help with inline barcodes and other such things.
                HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology
                http://www.hudsonalpha.org/gsl

Comment

How do the prices of the 2x250 kits compare to the prior prices for 2x150 kits?

Comment

v2 kits list for $700, $900, $1000 for 50, 150 and 250 cycle kits, respectively. Well, $5 less that that, but you get the idea.

--
                    Phillip

Comment

Our MiSeq was upgraded yesterday. So there are "n+1" machines out there now that physically have the new hardware capable of 2 x 250 bp runs.

Hopefully will have something to report on an actual run soon.

Comment

Originally posted by csquared View Post
                        With the MiSeq software update, you can use a matrix from a different run, supposedly allowing low diversity/amplicon sequencing on the platform. Time will tell how effective that solution will be, but should work.....in theory.....

No lost reads to PhiX and no workaround. Should help with inline barcodes and other such things.
                        See this blog post by Nick Loman. I guess they have implemented the settings described directly into MiSeq Control Software. There should still be some (5%) spike in to fix other low diversity issues though, no?

Comment

Originally posted by csquared View Post

Do you know if this ability to use a matrix from a different run came with the most recent MCS upgrade to MCS 2.0.0.1? If so, can it be used on a machine that hasn't yet received the hardware upgrade?

Thanks!
                          Molli

Comment

Originally posted by ramsemm View Post
                            Do you know if this ability to use a matrix from a different run came with the most recent MCS upgrade to MCS 2.0.0.1? If so, can it be used on a machine that hasn't yet received the hardware upgrade?

Thanks!
                            Molli
                            According to our FAS, as long as the software is updated you are able to set the "good" matrix, as well as run the 2x250. You won't get the increased data outputs and faster cycle times until the hardware upgrade however.

Comment

Our upgrade is booked in for next week. looking forward to 20M reads!

Comment

Does anyone have any public data sets available from their upgraded Miseq?
                                I'd love to see the quality metrics.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                                0 responses