Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New thing?

Now is the time of day for WILD SPECULATION!

Alright, so:
    1) JP Morgan Healthcare conference. Prime announcement venue as shown previously.
    2) Eco and Pathogenomenick are twittering they know something we don't know.
    3) Somebody told me Illumina is gearing up for a big marketing blitz "very soon".
    4) A source I'm not going to disclose asked me if I owned or was going to purchase an "Illumina Hiseq 1T".
    5) I've heard or read rumors over the past year that Illumina might put out a "midi-seq", smaller than a Hiseq, bigger than a Miseq.

Anybody care to give odds over something big being announced soon-ish?

Edit: I have just been informed that the Hiseq 1T is going to be the name for the upgraded Hiseqs which can do those 6-day 1Tbp runs. The upgrade you most likely do not qualify for.
    Last edited by GW_OK; 01-13-2014, 02:48 PM.

This thing ?

Illumina to Launch 1 Terabase HiSeq Upgrade in Q2, 2014; 2x250 bp Reads Pushed to Mid-2014
    October 29, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by GW_OK View Post
      Now is the time of day for WILD SPECULATION!

Alright, so:
      1) JP Morgan Healthcare conference. Prime announcement venue as shown previously.
      2) Eco and Pathogenomenick are twittering they know something we don't know.
      3) Somebody told me Illumina is gearing up for a big marketing blitz "very soon".
      4) A source I'm not going to disclose asked me if I owned or was going to purchase an "Illumina Hiseq 1T".
      5) I've heard or read rumors over the past year that Illumina might put out a "midi-seq", smaller than a Hiseq, bigger than a Miseq.

Anybody care to give odds over something big being announced soon-ish?

Edit: I have just been informed that the Hiseq 1T is going to be the name for the upgraded Hiseqs which can do those 6-day 1Tbp runs. The upgrade you most likely do not qualify for.
      The "midi-seq" is effectively the Rapid Run kits on the Hiseq. It has practically the same number of reads as the old GA systems (hundreds of millions). The high output mode is in the billions of reads, and Miseq is in the 10s of millions, so there's not much more wiggle room there.

My guess is that the rapid run kits will be going 2x250bp real soon or earlier than expected. There's a big hole in the Miseq v3 kits (no 2x150 cycle kits) so maybe that will be filled up as well.

Honestly, Illumina is doing so well right now it's hard to see where they could push further besides increasing sequencing capacity. The Hiseq software could use a nice upgrade in terms of applying the newer Miseq RTA that handles low diversity libraries very well, but that's probably low on their priority list.

Comment

What they could really use is a middle instrument. That's what I mean by "midi-seq" previously.

Imagine something that could only run a single, Rapid-only flowcell. Priced around twice what a Miseq runs, which would still be less than half of what a Hiseq costs. You could claim the 1500's are doing this now, but they're like 80% of what a 2500 costs, so why not pay the full price and get the big guy? I think there's still labs out there who would spring for something bigger than a Miseq but can't justify the cost of a 2500.

Comment

The Hiseq software could use a nice upgrade in terms of applying the newer Miseq RTA that handles low diversity libraries very well, but that's probably low on their priority list.
          It is not. I was told it would be released this year.

Comment

Called it! Called it!

Holy sh_!

"NextSeq"

Comment

NextSeq 500: http://www.illumina.com/systems/nextseq-sequencer.ilmn
              Last edited by GenoMax; 01-14-2014, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Don't forget the 10-pack of uber HiSeqX machines:

Comment

Now that is exciting.

HiSeq X Ten page at Illumina: http://illumina.com/systems/hiseq-x-...ng-system.ilmn

HiSeq X10 - $10M for 10 machines per Eli Roberson.

The HiSeq X Ten is sold as a set of 10 or more ultra-high throughput sequencing systems, each generating up to 1.8 terabases (Tb) of sequencing data in less than three days or up to 600 gigabases (Gb) per day, per system
                  Last edited by GenoMax; 01-14-2014, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I calculated you could do ~20,800 30x human genomes if you ran all 10 twice a week for 1 year.

Comment

Really, this is a bit of a giant FU to Complete Genomics and, uh, BGI.

Comment

The rep at PAG said they planned on selling 4 "X boxes" in 2014--and had already sold 3 30 minutes after the announcement.

The NextSeq500 is clearly aimed at people considering a Proton. Same price, same emphasis on speed, better stats right now. I don't like that the only single-end mode is 75 bp. Lots of people like the 150 bp read on the 2500 Rapid. And the other downside is that all 4 lanes (100M reads each) get fed the same library, so doesn't improve flexibility in flow of projects at a facility. But a nice mid-machine.
                        Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

What I'd like is some more detailed explanation of the 2-dye system the NextSeq 500 is using. I assume they provide C & A tagged with Red, T & A tagged with green & G untagged, thus C should be pure Red, T pure green and A ~ a 50:50 mix of green & red (orange) and G then undyed...

Comment

Interested to see that the cluster density specs are an order of magnitude lower on the 500 than the MiSeq. Is that an error?

Quote from Illumina:
                            (http://www.illumina.com/systems/next...fications.ilmn)
                            * Install specifications based on Illumina PhiX control library at supported cluster densities (between 129 and 165 k/mm² clusters passing filter). Actual performance parameters may vary based on sample type, sample quality, and clusters passing filter.

Comment

Illumina announces $1,000 genome

??

"The cost of sequencing a human genome has at last been brought below $1,000, DNA sequencing giant Illumina said Tuesday. Crossing that barrier opens to door to bringing the public the full benefit of 21st-century genomic medicine."

via hacker news ... https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7060021

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                              0 responses