X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

07-16-2014 12:56 AM
    dannyhi321 Hi,
    Thanks for feedback.

No its the actual price excluding shipping.

Because we have several locations.

Comment

They are now refusing to validate my account unless the systems " remain in Australia".

Nice!

Comment

Why didn't you jut buy the machines directly from them instead of via the university ?

Comment

Because it was a collaboration and I wasn't expecting Illumina to act in such a draconian manner.

Comment

well...an unfortunate turn of events...Illumina has always had you by the balls, so very public gripes before everything is settled probably wasn't the best idea, though I can appreciate your frustration...

Illumina may be an international business, but I'm sure if you bought a car in Adelaide, and had it shipped to the UK, you would have found that the cost would be greater than the cost of the car you purchased. Economically, it makes no sense. They ship thousands of Miseqs to global warehouses to distribute shipping costs. They don't ship each instrument from the US.

Are you sure the reinstall doesn't include an instrument upgrade? That is the only way that number makes sense.

Comment

No systems are full spec.

Comment

Originally posted by austinso View Post
                well...an unfortunate turn of events...Illumina has always had you by the balls, so very public gripes before everything is settled probably wasn't the best idea, though I can appreciate your frustration...

Illumina may be an international business, but I'm sure if you bought a car in Adelaide, and had it shipped to the UK, you would have found that the cost would be greater than the cost of the car you purchased. Economically, it makes no sense. They ship thousands of Miseqs to global warehouses to distribute shipping costs. They don't ship each instrument from the US.

Are you sure the reinstall doesn't include an instrument upgrade? That is the only way that number makes sense.
                I think it would be remiss of me if I did not point out the obvious flaws in your argument. The car analogy is a good one, especially as shipping is not included in this instance and many people have cars imported without the cost of the car becoming prohibitively expensive. In this case we are talking about an instrument weighing 91KG fully packaged/crated.

In the case of your analogy, and lets say for arguments sake I purchased the instrument form the University second hand, the University and I have a right to such a private sale. So lets say I decide to buy your car in Australia and have it shipped to the UK (the shipping costs being borne by myself). Now lets suppose the manufacturer of the car, says to me that if I wish to have the car prepared be moved (say tightening a few movable items) and to have warranty/service contracts upon arrival in the UK the cost WOULD BE GREATER THAN AN ENTIRE NEW CAR, I trust you would agree that would be unfair.

Such a practice would also have the affect (intended or otherwise) of actively discouraging the sale of items from one person to another that are legitimately owned by them. Add to the picture the fact that this particular car uses a fuel supplied only from its manufacturer then you arrive at a particularly illogical, and dare I say, short slighted, arrangement.

Comment

Illumina may be an international business but they are a business before they are international.

Comment

Why do u need to involve Illumina at all? You can ship the machine and install the machine by yourself. Then you can order reagents thru your friends who own a MiSeq. Problem solved.

Comment

Being a business does not preclude you from being fair and reasonable. It is a moral imperative in all aspects of our lives.

One which Illumina is seeking to address which is heartening .

If we ignore a situation – we cannot expect it to change.

Comment

Originally posted by ymc View Post
                        Why do u need to involve Illumina at all? You can ship the machine and install the machine by yourself. Then you can order reagents thru your friends who own a MiSeq. Problem solved.
                        There are lock down screws for the stage and optical platform that need to be put in place before moving the instrument to avoid damage to the these parts. Do you know where they are or how tight they need to be? These are very delicate instruments that can't be thrown in the trunk of your car and driven to their new home. Even with proper preparation of the instrument, moving will very likely cause the the optics to go slightly out of alignment. When we moved our MiSeq from one lab to another we had the engineer lock it down then unlock and realign the optics.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyhi321 View Post
                          Being a business does not preclude you from being fair and reasonable. It is a moral imperative in all aspects of our lives.

One which Illumina is seeking to address which is heartening .

If we ignore a situation – we cannot expect it to change.
                          Well, Illumina is in a still evolving industry. It is possible that they can be a goner when a new tech comes around (e.g. nanopore). So it makes sense for them to milk as much money as possible. If they don't and go under, I presume none of us will donate any money to help them. They are not like Google who is so well established now they can afford to be "not evil".

Therefore, to convince them to change their behavior, you need to show them the money. Obviously, there are very few users like you who bought used machines, so you guys have very little bargaining power. As a result, they have an unfriendly used machine policy.

Since such policy has been around for a long time, so I doubt you can change it easily. So your best bet is either follow it or jump ship.

Why don't you buy refurbished MiSeqs from Illumina? I think that can be cheaper than buying them used + the extraorbitant fee Illumina charges and still at a big discount from the list price.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyhi321 View Post
                            Ugh. Please refrain from droll hyperbole..."fair and reasonable" applies to the customer as well.

Did you even get a quote for shipping and crating costs from a third party to actually gain a metric for what is "fair and reasonable"?

Comment

Originally posted by austinso View Post
                              Ugh. Please refrain from droll hyperbole..."fair and reasonable" applies to the customer as well.

Did you even get a quote for shipping and crating costs from a third party to actually gain a metric for what is "fair and reasonable"?
                              Please refrain from being personal and the sytems where purchased new. and yes to your question btw.

Comment

Discussion ok, argument and personal attacks not ok.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                                0 responses