Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From: http://www.illumina.com/systems/hise...lications.html

The HiSeq 3000/HiSeq 4000 Systems deliver the highest daily throughput and lowest price per sample for multiple applications, species, and sample types, providing an ideal solution for production-scale sequencing labs.
    Looks like no restrictions on sample types for 3000/4000.

Comment

Originally posted by HeinKey View Post
      #SNPsaurus:
      I assume it will be 2x 150 bp in 3.5 days.
      2.1 to 2.5 billion clusters per flow cell, in a 2x150 bp run is 630 - 750 Gb.
      With a speed >200Gb per day a 2x 150 bp run will take 3.5 days.

I wonder if we can upgrade the 2500 V4 machine to a 4000 version...
      Dumbass Question Alert, but does 2.1 billion clusters = 2.1 billion reads? Or would that be 2.1 billion clusters and with PE be 4.2 billion reads?

I guess my real question is on the HiSeq3000, how many reads do I get with 2x150bp PE?

Thanks in advance...

Comment

Originally posted by cement_head View Post
        Dumbass Question Alert, but does 2.1 billion clusters = 2.1 billion reads? Or would that be 2.1 billion clusters and with PE be 4.2 billion reads?
        Yes. That is how illumina counts them.

I guess my real question is on the HiSeq3000, how many reads do I get with 2x150bp PE?

Thanks in advance...
        Here are published specs (I assume you are interested in total sequence rather than number of reads): http://www.illumina.com/systems/hise...fications.html

Comment

Our sales rep claimed there are no single read cluster kits available (yet) for HS3000/4000. Can anyone confirm? Sounds like a strange decision (if true) to me.

Comment

Originally posted by andibody View Post
            Our sales rep claimed there are no single read cluster kits available (yet) for HS3000/4000. Can anyone confirm? Sounds like a strange decision (if true) to me.
            That probably means "for the time being" ... as manufacturing is ramped up for new reagents/flowcells. Specifications list a 1x50 run, so single end kits may be coming in future (http://www.illumina.com/systems/hise...fications.html).

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
              Yes. That is how illumina counts them.

Here are published specs (I assume you are interested in total sequence rather than number of reads): http://www.illumina.com/systems/hise...fications.html
              No, I'm interested in total number of reads to calculate coverage.

So, what this (thread) is saying, is that for the same amount of money on a HiSeq2500 RR, if I did the run on a HiSeq3000 - I can potentially get >10x the amount of reads?

HiSeq2500 360M reads

HiSeq3000 4.2B reads

Have I got this right? If so, this is amazing!

Comment

That's not really so amazing. A HiSeq 2500 in High Output mode will give you more than 6X as many reads (2 billion is the spec for v4). Rapid Run isn't for people who care about cost-effectiveness.

Comment

My understanding is the the HiSeq 4000 per lane cost will be similar to the per lane cost of the HiSeq 2500. At our local facility, the per lane cost is similar for high-output or rapid run on the HiSeq 2500. So I would say roughly the same costs for:
                  HiSeq 2500 high-output 200M reads per lane (8 lanes per run)
                  HiSeq 2500 rapid run 180M reads per lane (2 lanes per run)
                  HiSeq 3/4000 320M reads per lane (8 lanes per run)
                  Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

There should be an exact max of clusters for HiSeq 3000/4000 defined by the number of microwells (325M as stated above?).
                    We're getting regularly 300M reads on the upgraded 2500. If 325M is correct, the increase is not very pronounced if the shortened run durations are not countered in.

Comment

Originally posted by andibody View Post
                      There should be an exact max of clusters for HiSeq 3000/4000 defined by the number of microwells (325M as stated above?).
                      We're getting regularly 300M reads on the upgraded 2500. If 325M is correct, the increase is not very pronounced if the shortened run durations are not countered in.
                      Are you sure you are comparing the same numbers (read, clusters, lanes, flow cell)? And for the HiSeq 2500 numbers are you talking about Rapid Run or V4 High Output?

The HiSeq 3000/4000 specs are 325M clusters per lane, which would be 650M reads per lane for paired end runs (using Illumina's method of counting).

The HiSeq 1500/2500 specs are 250M clusters per lane for V4 High Output (500M reads per lane). Our experience is pushing even slightly past 280M clusters per lane results in dramatic decreases in %PF and read quality.

Comment

High Output.
                        True, it's more like 270-290M with Q>30.
                        Still, it's 'only' a 15% increase. (again, not countering in speed and evenness of cluster density).

Comment

No, I'm interested in total number of reads to calculate coverage.

So, what this (thread) is saying, is that for the same amount of money on a HiSeq2500 RR, if I did the run on a HiSeq3000 - I can potentially get >10x the amount of reads?

HiSeq2500 360M reads

HiSeq3000 4.2B reads

Have I got this right? If so, this is amazing!
                          No, at best you may be looking at 1.5X the amount of sequence per $. (That 4.2B reads figure is likely for an entire flowcell.)

My guess is it will be slightly less than this as Illumina always combines an improvement in instrumentation/chemistry with an increase in reagent costs.

Plus there is the cost of the new instrument itself that may contribute to the cost of the service.

--
                          Phillip

Comment

The difference is even less if you compare HiSeq 2500 V4 to HiSeq 4000. The HiSeq 4000's specs claim 4.3-5B reads vs up to 4B reads on a HiSeq 2500. After factoring in instrument and overhead costs I would imagine that pricing for the 4000 runs may be higher for the first 6-12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by kcchan View Post
                              The difference is even less if you compare HiSeq 2500 V4 to HiSeq 4000. The HiSeq 4000's specs claim 4.3-5B reads vs up to 4B reads on a HiSeq 2500. After factoring in instrument and overhead costs I would imagine that pricing for the 4000 runs may be higher for the first 6-12 months.
                              Yes, I think maybe the main benefit from the 3000/4000 over a 2500-1T running v4 chemistry would be less worries about overclustering a flow cell. And that is big--on a psychological level. But I think most cores have systems in place that either make this rare or just leave it up to the customers to send correctly titred libraries.

--
                              Phillip

Comment

Increased throughput (reduced run time) appears to be the main thing. Would be nice if it translates to reduced costs but for that I think they need some serious competiton (BGI, not PII...).

Hiseq2500: 450-500 Gb, 6 days 4000: > 400 Gb/day

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                                0 responses