Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cufflinks/cuffmerge text file busy error

I am getting the following error when running cuffmerge.

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/local/bin/cuffmerge", line 576, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
    File "/usr/local/bin/cuffmerge", line 559, in main
    compare_meta_asm_against_ref(params.ref_gtf,params.fasta,output_dir+"
    /transcripts.gtf")
    File "/usr/local/bin/cuffmerge" line 447, in compare_meta_asm_against_ref
    os.remove(tmap)

OSError: [Errno 26] Text file busy: '.merged_asm/tmp_meta_asm.transcripts.gtf.tmap'

Has anyone come across this error and come up with a solution? It appears to be internal to cuffmerge as it is dealing with file management of temporary files.

Thanks,
    Mike

FYI interestingly the --keep-tmp option does not fix this error.

Comment

What kind of disk storage system are you running these jobs on? Is this on a cluster or a standalone server?

Comment

Standalone Virtual Machine running CentOS 6.

Comment

I guess then some kind of disk I/O contention is probably not applicable. Are you consistently seeing that error with cuffmerge jobs?

Comment

New to cufflinks. This is the only RNAseq data we have in the pipeline at the moment.

Comment

Are you running anything else besides the cuffmerge job at the same time? What OS is this virtual machine running on?

Comment

Nothing else on the VM. VM is on Windows 7.

Comment

This may be an issue specific for your environment and may coming from python (based on some googling). You have not said if you are getting the error consistently with all jobs or if this was a one time issue.

You may want to email the tophat/cufflinks list to see if they have any suggestions.

Comment

Thanks for your input.

I said earlier that I am new to cufflinks and it is the only RNAseq data we have at the moment to work with. I meant to imply that I have not run cuffmerge on other jobs. Sorry if it was not clear. If it comes down to it, I may run the cufflinks protocols using the test data described in the Nature Protocols paper "Differential gene and transcript expression analysis...". This would be a good control to evaluate if it is a data issue or an environment issue.

I have emailed tophat/cufflinks with this issue. I will post the resolution to guide other users when I work through it.

Comment

Success. The issue seems to be that I was running cuffmerge from a shared directory between the VM and the host machine. Running cuffmerge from a directory on the VM alone resolved the error.

Comment

Originally posted by gormleymp View Post
                        Success. The issue seems to be that I was running cuffmerge from a shared directory between the VM and the host machine. Running cuffmerge from a directory on the VM alone resolved the error.
                        That would certainly do it. Glad it got resolved.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                        • seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                        0 responses