No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lander-Waterman theory explanation

Hi.

Could someone post any reference or describe the logic of the that theory (even with images). I read the text on wikipedia but couldn't understand much because i'm now beginning with NGS.

Is this a method to estimate the quality of your library and the size of its fragments ? When do we use calculators for that ?

Thank you.
    Last edited by netpumber; 03-02-2015, 01:41 AM.

Originally posted by netpumber View Post
    Is this a method to estimate the quality of your library and the size of its fragments ? When do we use calculators for that ?
    Assuming reads map randomly to the reference genome, you can plan your experiments and answer questions like: How much coverage do I expect if I sequence so many reads? How many genomic positions can I expect to be covered by at least n reads (useful for SNP detection)?

Say your genome is of size G, you sequence N reads of length L, this R code answers the two questions above (given all the assumptions required):

Code:
    L<- 100
    G<- 3*1e9
    N<- 100*1e6

## Expected coverage
    C<- (L*N)/G

## % genome covered with depth...
    depth<- 0:10
    exp_cov<- dpois(depth, lambda= C) * 100
    ggdepth<- qplot(x= depth, y= exp_cov, xlab= 'Depth', ylab= '% genome', main= 'Amount of genome\ncovered at depth n') + geom_line()
    ggCum<- qplot(x= rev(depth), y= cumsum(rev(exp_cov)), xlab= 'Depth', ylab= '% genome', main= 'Amount of genome \ncovered at least with depth n') + geom_line()

This is just a use case example...

Comment

Just to make explicit something in dariobers great reply, the general theory is that if reads are uniformly drawn from the genome, then coverage should follow a Poisson distribution.

It should be noted that in reality this isn't the case, and I don't think anyone actually uses this equation for these purposes anymore. In fact, it's vastly more reliable to just generate fake reads and then map them, since it turns out that not all regions are very mappable and there's also often a bias in what's even sequenced.

Having said that, the original context of the equations was more useful for assembly, since the equations can answer how many gaps one should expect given a certain number of reads (clones originally, but this was all pre-NGS). Again, though, I think people would be more likely to use k-mer frequency histograms for this sort of thing these days.

Comment

Thank you very much guys.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses