Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the role of the Klenow DNA Pol in End Repair?

Hi everyone,

Please forgive my naive questions, I am just begining to work with NGS. I need to modify the blunt end step to incorporate repair enzymes (UDG and Endo VIII as described in one of the Neanderthal NGS papers).
    I try to understand exactly what is going on during the blunt end and I wonder why we need the Klenow pol since the T4 DNA Pol has a 3'-5' exonuclease activity? Is it to fill up nicks?

The 454 Standard Library prep only uses T4 DNA pol and PNK during the end polishing step. The Klenow comes in during the fill-in step to add the adapter sequence to the other end of the library fragments (since the adapters are not phosphorylated.) The strand displacement activity of Klenow is necessary for the fill in reaction (nick translation.) I don't know off hand, but I am guessing that T4 DNA pol does not have strand displacement activity.

The 454 Rapid library prep uses different biochemistry with Taq and phosphorylated primers, and does not use Klenow.

Hope this helps some.

***Edit***
    Sorry for this reply. I saw your post in the New Posts section and didn't notice that your initial question was for Illumina library prep.
    Last edited by bbeitzel; 05-05-2011, 09:57 AM. Reason: Misread initial question

Comment

Moving to sample prep.

Comment

Sorry, I should have mentioned it was for the Illumina library. That's the reason why I had put it in the Illumina forum. There is no need of Bst with Illumina. I actually spoke to NEB and they released a new kit for Illumina library prep that doesn't incorporate Pol I (Klenow) at all. Nobody seems to know why the blunt end protocol from Illumina uses 2 enzymes that do exactly the same thing

Comment

Klenow is much less expensive per unit than T4 polymerase, but is less efficient at 3'->5' exo activity. Mixing the two provides the most economical method for obtaining the desired activity - although, given the price of the kits, that seems the least of their concerns:-).

Comment

That makes sense. The tech support from Illumina responded that T4 pol was better for removing the 3' overhangs but Klenow is better for filling in 5' overhangs. Not sure this is accurate. When I look at enzyme info from NEB, it says that both enzymes incorporate 10nM of dNTP in 30 min at 37 degrees.

Comment

I have another question
              What happens when the T4 DNA Pol faces an abasic site?
              Does it stop extending?

Oh and one more: if you believe that your overhangs (on both sides) contain a lot of damaged bases, wouldn't it be preferable to use Pol I alone to create blunt ends on both sides (no elongation)?
              Last edited by odile; 05-05-2011, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses