SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you calculate the article score? dan Wiki Discussion 1 09-18-2011 06:03 AM
Starting cancer transcriptome analysis of 454 sequencing data ketan_bnf Bioinformatics 1 09-11-2011 11:35 PM
Iontorrent article drio The Pipeline 3 12-16-2010 09:18 AM
BEDTools article quinlana Bioinformatics 6 03-03-2010 08:53 AM
paired-read transcriptome data analysis joseph Illumina/Solexa 1 09-25-2008 10:50 AM

Old 06-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
jperkel

Default Journalist request: An article on analysis of transcriptome data

Hello,

I am a freelance science writer (http://jeffreyperkel.com).

I am working with The Scientist magazine (www.the-scientist.com) on an article about how non-experts can download and make use of transcriptome (and related) datasets from both microarrays and next-gen sequencing experiments. (For instance, people who might want to know, for instance, if a particular gene is expressed in a particular tissue or disease state, and whether two genes are coexpressed.)

I was hoping to find researchers on SEQanswers who might have had these problems and could talk about how they solved them, or be able to discuss some of the key issues these researchers face and how to address them.

My deadline is Friday, 24 June. Please contact me at jeff@jeffreyperkel.com if you are able to speak with me on this topic (or can suggest researchers I might try offline.)

Thank you, and best regards,
Jeffrey Perkel
http://jeffreyperkel.com
jeff@jeffreyperkel.com
jperkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
ECO
--Site Admin--

Hi Jeffrey!

I've collapsed your post into one and moved it into the Bioinformatics forum, as well as made it an announcement to get wide notice across the site. Good luck!

FYI everyone else: SEQanswers is unaffiliated with this request...
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:04 AM   #3
colindaven

That's quite an ask!

Non-experts are hardly going to be capable of learning command line Linux programs and bioinformatics capabilities rapidly enough to keep them interested. Even colleagues with PhDs and years of training in molecular biology struggle majorly. It may be more realistic to point non-experts towards online catalogues of variation and gene expression.

Perhaps have a look at the ENCODE project, UCSC genome browser and BioGPS http://biogps.gnf.org/

Best of luck.
colindaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
jperkel

Thanks @colindaven, that's a good point! Would you be willing to speak with me about these issues offline? I'd love to get your thoughts on this.

Jeff
jperkel is offline   Reply With Quote