SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
de novo contigs don't match mapped reads bdorsey Bioinformatics 1 09-24-2015 11:39 PM
Trinity: contigs vs reads Pol8 Bioinformatics 1 03-01-2015 10:23 AM
Retrieving reads with SNPs Gavin_Sherlock Genomic Resequencing 2 10-10-2012 08:54 AM
Too little reads mapped back to contigs using Bowtie oliviaxinw Bioinformatics 4 09-28-2012 05:18 AM
Paired-end reads mapped 50% while each pair reads mapped 80% zack80.liu Bioinformatics 3 03-03-2011 01:06 AM

Old 02-04-2016, 11:40 AM   #1
garlic

Default Retrieving only Trinity contigs that have mapped reads

Hi,

I am working on the transcriptome of a protist that feeds on another protist (unfortunately, a rather close evolutionary cousin). I have a transcriptome of my target organism mixed with the prey, along with a transcriptome of the prey alone.

As one of the steps in decontaminating my dataset, I am mapping reads from my prey RNA-seq dataset to the assembly of my target organism + prey. I have already taken some other measures to decontaminate the dataset, so I'm not expecting a huge number of my contigs to have prey reads mapped to them.

Does anyone know how (perhaps with SAMtools) I can retrieve only those contigs in my target transcriptome that have prey-only reads mapping to them, along with some metric of how many reads are mapping?

Thanks for your help!
garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
westerman
Rick Westerman

Perhaps I am missing something here but if (a) you have a mapping and (b) know which reads are from prey-only then you should be to -- via samtools view, cut, grep, sort, uniq and the rest of the Linux tools -- generate a count of prey-only, prey+target, target-only for each transcript.

I am not sure if SAMtools per se would help.
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
read-mapping, transcriptome analysis