SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom primer failed kal33na Illumina/Solexa 1 04-22-2013 01:39 PM
Can smRNA sequencing primer and genomic DNA sequencing primer mixed in one lane? whimsy Illumina/Solexa 3 04-06-2011 09:30 AM
custom primer menglv Illumina/Solexa 3 01-18-2011 01:01 PM
Going from biotinylated primer to unlabeled primer in emPCR chunnan20451 454 Pyrosequencing 0 09-01-2010 05:22 PM
Removing an unknown primer sequence from reads. mchotalia Bioinformatics 2 09-12-2009 10:57 PM

Old 02-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
ZAAB

Default 50+% of my HiSEQ reads are 3' primer (custom primer used)

Hi All:
We've run 7 lanes of Illumina sequencing with the HiSEQ.
We're sequencing the middle of a PCR product...
We're using a custom sequencing primer to avoid the common 5' end of the PCR product.
In many of our lanes, we 'see' about 50% of the reads being the 3' end Illumina adapter (barcode side)...

If we were just using the common Illumina adapter primer (hybridizing to the 5' end), I'd say I have a huge Illumina primer-dimer issue...
BUT I am using a custom primer...

So how does this happen?
Did I get my forward, non-5'-phosphate PCR primer filled in when A-tailing (without, ligation of adapters has bad efficiency (Separate issue)), and then Illumina primers ligated to it...
IS this possible>?

OR Is there regular Illumina sequencing primer contamination in my runs, and the Illumina primer dimer is being sequenced...?

Or?

Thanks in advance.
ZAAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
NextGenSeq

Did you synthesize your adapters with phosphothioate bonds in between the ends of the last two 3' bases?

This prevents exonuclease digestion and adapter artifacts.
NextGenSeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
ZAAB

My PCR primers for generating the construct BEFORE illumina adapter ligation are just regular primers.
I used the Illumina DNA sample prep kit, so the primers were Illumina, and hence, should have had that O-bond.
ZAAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
NextGenSeq

I would redesign my PCR primers and cut down on the concentration. If you still get primer artifacts gel purify before adapter ligation.

I assume you purified by some method before ligating the adapters? If not there will be PCR primers with your product.

Also, don't design the primers with an A at the end since the T overhang from the adaptor might bind to it.
NextGenSeq is offline   Reply With Quote