SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MiSeq Custom Sequencing Primer Tm? pmiguel Illumina/Solexa 43 11-12-2015 11:52 AM
Miseq Custom primer for 16s V1V3 region lmma Illumina/Solexa 12 02-26-2015 01:13 PM
Short LNA custom sequencing primer for MiSeq bunce Illumina/Solexa 1 02-24-2014 01:14 AM
Custom amplicon sequencing with dual indexing tickseq Illumina/Solexa 2 06-27-2013 09:46 AM
50+% of my HiSEQ reads are 3' primer (custom primer used) ZAAB Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 02-06-2012 11:00 AM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
melcar
Junior Member
 
Location: australia

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9
Default MiSeq indexing amplicons and custom primer Tm

I am planning to sequence 3 mtDNA amplicons per sample using the Nextera XT kit. First I want to see if it is OK for the Nextera indexing be done once after the 3 amplicons are pooled in equal molar ratios?

Second many of my custom template primers have Tms below the 60-65C range outlined by illumnia. Just wondered if anyone has tried adding a CG tail on the 5' end of the primer (positioned between the primer and the adapter) to increase the Tm of the Custom template primer? My custom primers are AT rich and placed in universal regions, so increasing the length by adding sequence would be difficult.

Any advice most welcome ...
melcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #2
bunce
Member
 
Location: Perth

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 55
Default

Hi

To address your second question - you could use LNA's to boost the Tm's of your custom primer. Fluidigm uses LNA's on the first, third and 6th base of from the 5' end.

If there are just a few degrees off you could (at the p5 end if you are doing single end reads) add the bases ACAC to the 5' end of your sequencing primer..... this 'borrows' a bit of P5 but is still outside of where the strand is cleaved. I would avoid encroaching further into P5 (we have had issues).

(edit; I should point out that this ACAC addition will only work if your indexes are not situated between p5 and the sequencing primer)

Hope this helps?

Last edited by bunce; 03-13-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: needed to clarify
bunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
melcar
Junior Member
 
Location: australia

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9
Default

Just curious what type of issues you had with playing wit the 5' end? Was it to do with PCR of the amplicons or the illumina sequencing? Still getting my head around the MiSeq technology. I am more accustom to 454 pyrosequening.
melcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
bunce
Member
 
Location: Perth

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 55
Default

the issues we had was trying to sequence illumina libraries like they were "454 & Ion Torrent" - i.e. using the adapters themselves as sequencing primers. When we tried this (and even play around with tweaking recipes and melt temps) we got clustering but no sequencing. We ended up using a short LNA custom primer - which is working very well.

I should state that the reason we are doing this is to generate sequenceable indexed amplicons in a single step (and to do this the PCR efficiency goes down when you are using really long primers).
bunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
melcar
Junior Member
 
Location: australia

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9
Default

Thanks for your response. Where did you order you LNA primers from?

Also regarding you edit. My primers are the custom primer followed by the illumina adaptor. So if i did modify the 5' end of the primer it would have the adaptor on the other side not an index. I am planning to use the Nextra kit to index the samples and do a 300bp paired end run
melcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
bunce
Member
 
Location: Perth

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 55
Default

In Australia you need to order them through GeneWorks - they licence them from https://www.exiqon.com/oligo-tools

The whole illumina "separate index" architecture frustrates me a bit - it is really a hang-up from times when sequencing reads were so short that it was a waste to sequence indexes "in line" with the rest of your library. We have modified this in our amplicon sequencing workflows. LNA's may be the only way to go? - although the primers are expensive (a few hundred $) so you would want to get more than a single experiment out of them.

One other option is to drop the annealing temperature in your run recipe - I have never done this so it would be risky without getting some advice first. As always it somewhat depends on how much money you want to throw at your options to explore them!
bunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO