No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variant calls with a low fraction of alt reads

Hello all.
    I have a need to call variants for specific genes when I expect the fraction of reads having the alternate base to be very low, possibly in the range of 5% or lower. Examples of where this might be useful are to detect mutations present in a small fraction of cancer cells, or in any other tissues that are mosaic for the mutation.

I have tried to change the parameters of samtools to be as lenient as possible, but I have variants that it will not call (I use -B, I adjust -d, I've tried all the bcftools options). I have also tried GATK with the most lenient settings possible and can't get it to output such variants.

Do you have suggestions for a variant caller that can do what I want? Basically I want to get every position that has at least 3 alternate reads, regardless of the number of reference reads. I may just roll my own caller by going through the old samtools pileup output, but it will probably be super inefficient. Any advice?

Maybe a good statistics book?

Comment

There is a program called SPLINTER you may want to look into. It's designed for pooled samples (their data shows it works well for up to 500 individuals), and if you set the expected number of alleles to be, say 200, you can call variants as low as 0.5 %.

An international, peer-reviewed genome sciences journal featuring outstanding original research that offers novel insights into the biology of all organisms

Comment

Hmm, SPLINTER seems to be targeted at something quite different. At a minimum you need positive and negative synthetic controls for a particular type of variant that you are targeting, and this is what it uses to build an error model for calling variants in your large pool of samples. I don't think I could get around this requirement. All I have are the reads/alignment for a few individual samples.
        Thanks for the idea though!

Comment

A positive control isn't actually required, although a negative control is. At our sequencing center Phi-X is spiked into every lane, and that can be used as a negative control if the same applies to you.

Comment

I am in a similar spot, Jeremy, have you figured out anything?
            Did you try software that call somatic mutations like SNVmix, varScan, SomaticSniper?

Comment

Varscan does the trick

Originally posted by amaer View Post
              I am in a similar spot, Jeremy, have you figured out anything?
              Did you try software that call somatic mutations like SNVmix, varScan, SomaticSniper?

Varscan seems to work well for this, letting you specify whatever thresholds you want.

Comment

Thanks Jeremy for your very prompt reply. I was thinking too that varscan might do what I wanted, but upon reading the paper of VarScan2, it seemed that you would need at least 8% of all reads to be of a certain variant allele.

Comment

Originally posted by amaer View Post
                  Thanks Jeremy for your very prompt reply. I was thinking too that varscan might do what I wanted, but upon reading the paper of VarScan2, it seemed that you would need at least 8% of all reads to be of a certain variant allele.

That is just a default setting, as stated in the paper.

Comment

Awesome, thanks!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses