No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cross-species data - questions about normalization

Hi,

I have some data form various samples (cell types) in different species.
    I want to compare and analyze gene expression variability across the different species.

I've plotted the average expression (tags per million 'tpm' data) for each sample. I found that the average expression is more or less the same for all samples from a given species but the average expression values vary across species greatly (for example all human samples are about 20 and all mouse samples are about 25 but all dog samples are at about 100 tmp).

I'm guessing that this is because the data is not normalized and therefore the data is not comparable before performing a normalization.

I tried using different recently developed methods for data normalization (RLE, TMM) implemented in EdgeR as well as DeSeq and normalized the data from different species (by entrez id) separately for each cell type. This however still does not give much more similar average expressions for the different species. The averages of samples from the same species have now become much more dissimilar.

The only samples that went to a similar average expression level across the different species is Universal RNA - which is a mix of different tissues rather than a specific cell type.

I'm really confused, does the above mean the normalization is fine and I shouldn't worry about the fact that average expression values between different species are dissimilar, or does this rather imply something is wrong?

Maybe I should normalize by ignoring the gene ids and just looking at the whole expression profile (negative binomial) by sorting the genes according to their expression values and then having a different normalization factor for every expression value, whichever gene it is in every sample, so that I end up with 2 negative binomial curves that look the same but the genes on the x axis will be differently ordered depending on the species?

thanks.

Does each species have it's own controls? In other words, can each species be analyzed as an independent experiment?

If so, you could normalize each independently, analyze differential expression in each independently, and then simply compare homologous genes amongst the significantly differentially expressed genes in each species. I would suggest basing significance in each of the three independent analyses by simultaniously applying a statistical and a fold change cutoff to get the most robust differential gene lists for each.

That's how I've dealt with comparisons between, for example, rat and human hepatocytes exposed to dioxin. Set up the experiments separately and analyzed each species as an independent differential gene expression experiment, then compare the analyzed gene lists for significant homologous genes in each.

Otherwise, you have a very complex normalization situation where you may have to perform independent normalizations for each species followed by some form of scaling correction/normalization for the meta-analysis of all three.
    Last edited by mbblack; 05-23-2013, 07:32 AM.
    Michael Black, Ph.D.
    ScitoVation LLC. RTP, N.C.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses