SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FastQC, Kmer count, Trimmomatic: no success in trimming, still fail Kmer skmotay RNA Sequencing 6 10-09-2014 06:24 AM
Help with interpreting IDBA_UD assembly output morning latte Bioinformatics 1 09-17-2014 11:51 PM
250bp reads in idba_ud kcchan Bioinformatics 5 09-02-2014 08:11 PM
idba_ud Mink and Maxk eyeziko General 1 05-05-2014 04:25 PM
BWA seed length parameter effects on speed and accuracy oiiio Bioinformatics 0 03-29-2011 09:05 PM

Old 09-27-2017, 06:42 PM   #1
GUZUMO

Default parameter 'seed kmer' of IDBA_ud

I just don't know what's the meaning of it.
Is there anyone explain it for me ?
Thanks !XD
GUZUMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

I am not sure about IDBA, but Tadpole has a seed kmer flag, and the meaning is:

Contigs are built starting with a single kmer, then extending it. However, only kmers with a sufficiently high count (number of times they are observed in reads) are used as seeds, because kmers with a very low count are likely to be erroneous. So Tadpole's default "mincountseed=3" ensures that no contig will ever be created that does not have at least one kmer in it with a depth of at least 3. I suspect IDBA uses a similar mechanism.
Brian Bushnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:44 PM   #3
GUZUMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
I am not sure about IDBA, but Tadpole has a seed kmer flag, and the meaning is:

Contigs are built starting with a single kmer, then extending it. However, only kmers with a sufficiently high count (number of times they are observed in reads) are used as seeds, because kmers with a very low count are likely to be erroneous. So Tadpole's default "mincountseed=3" ensures that no contig will ever be created that does not have at least one kmer in it with a depth of at least 3. I suspect IDBA uses a similar mechanism.
Thank you .
But as idba_ud has a parameter '--min count' with description 'minimum multiplicity for filtering k-mer when building the graph', I guess maybe what you say is something like this.[?]
Sorry that I forgot to write down the description of seed kmer, 'seed kmer size for alignment'。 But I really can't understand. Is it means when constructing the graph, the first kmer needs to be this size[seed kmer] and other kmers' length will be the sum of mink and step?
GUZUMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:43 PM   #4
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

Oh... in that case, speculation again, but it sounds like it is for a scaffolding phase; essentially, a match of at least that long is required in a read to consider it as having come from that scaffold.
Brian Bushnell is offline   Reply With Quote