SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to build a BGZF granzanimo Bioinformatics 8 09-15-2015 03:24 PM
Combinig technical fastq files into a single fastq file dena.dinesh RNA Sequencing 3 03-27-2015 07:15 AM
Split Large FASTQ file in small FASTQ files with user defined number of reads Windows deepbiomed Bioinformatics 3 04-04-2013 08:14 AM
Using BGZF (Blocked GNU Zip Format) for general sequence files maubp Bioinformatics 7 02-08-2013 03:33 PM
quality scores in fastq files extracted from sea files efoss Bioinformatics 3 02-01-2013 04:09 PM

Old 10-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
rulix

Default BGZF for fastq files

Hi,

I have been working with very large fastq files and was thinking of ways that might speed the operations that I regularly perform on them: counting the number of reads, finding a specific sequence or a particular header.

I remembered looking at the Illumina documentation for the bcl2fastq2 utility and remembered that it now allows generation of fastq files with BGZF compression. It got me thinking that the bloc access option would allow multithreaded decompression of the fastqs and therefore susbtantially speed up those operations that I regularly must perform on all of our generated fastqs.

Does anybody know if there is any tool to do this? I have done a search but can't find anything that seems to fit the picture.

Thanks

--Raul
rulix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
GenoMax

@Raul: I moved your question to a new thread to give it added visibility. BBMap suite is multi-threaded and can use pigz (parallel gzip) library and varying levels of compression.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote