Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metagenomics with Illumina, all species genomes coverd by reads or not?

Hi All,

I am new in Metagenomics and want to ask a basic questions!

suppose we have a microbial community and use Illumina for WGS. We don't know any things about our community and don't know which species are there (Actually it is a de novo sequencing). I want to know is there any possibility that there are some parts of our unknown bacteria genome that is not covered by reads produced by Illumina? Or for sure all part of species genomes will be covered by reads?

P.S: I read some articles about the library preparation in Illumina WGS. I were wondering if there is any relation between this issue and library preparation?

Thank you,

In a complex community, there will be a large variation in species abundance. Thus, you won't get good coverage of very rare organisms, and they won't assemble. There's also a gc-bias (low- and high-gc organisms may be underrepresented) but that won't matter nearly as much.

There are also differences in efficiency of lysing and DNA extraction for different organisms, so I'm sure that preparation plays some kind of role, but I don't know the details. This is quite important for single-cell work. I think abundance is probably much more important in metagenomes though.

Comment

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your answer and share your experience. Your answer is very comprehensive.

Thank you,

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
      In a complex community, there will be a large variation in species abundance. Thus, you won't get good coverage of very rare organisms, and they won't assemble. There's also a gc-bias (low- and high-gc organisms may be underrepresented) but that won't matter nearly as much.

There are also differences in efficiency of lysing and DNA extraction for different organisms, so I'm sure that preparation plays some kind of role, but I don't know the details. This is quite important for single-cell work. I think abundance is probably much more important in metagenomes though.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses