Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing SNPs in samtools output eventhough it display VDB values

Samtools Version (0.1.18) error: I called SNPs for 17 samples from same organism, however some of the samples failed to list any SNPs on some of the chromosomes even though I expected some SNPs. Hence I looked in IGV browser and pileup information in order to verify whether there are any alternate alleles at the base position. It was clear that these positions had all mapped reads with alternate bases as compared to reference bases.

I removed –v option from bcftools commands to get depth information for all the base positions irrespective of being called variant sites.

Here is the command I used
    samtools mpileup -6 -Buf ../gff_and_Refgenome/ref.fasta in.bam | bcftools view -bcg -> in.var.raw.bcf
    bcftools view in.var.raw.bcf > vcfutils.pl varFilter -D50 > in.var.fil.vcf
    which gave following result for one of probable SNP positions, failed to be listed as SNP (AtoT) in final result file.

Chr2 617743 . A . 28.2 . DP=95;VDB=0.0535;;AC1=2;FQ=-30 PL 0

I would really appreciate if anyone would help me understand why such SNPs were ignored in final file eventhough it display VDB values which are related to SNP calling in samtools.

Hi k2bhide,

here are a couple of things to try:

- try the mpileup without the -B option, in case this is filtering out SNPs
    - try without the filtering script
    - set the minimum base quality for mpileup to 0, in case the variants you are observing happen to be read errors
    - set the SNP probability to low for bcftools (e.g. "-p 0.9999")

All of the above will make the command output a lot of dross/false positives but it is useful for the purpose of understanding what's going on.

You then need to tighten things up again to get your actual results. My approach is to make the initial SNP calling very relaxed and then filter appropriately, but if a SNP isn't there after the initial calling then it's obviously gone for good and you can't get it back.

I typically use something like this:

samtools mpileup -Q 0 -D -g -u -f <fastaFile> <bamFile> | bcftools view -vcgA -p 0.9999 - > SNPs.vcf

cheers

Micha

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses