Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHRiMP and Cufflinks for strand-specific SOLiD bacteria RNA Seq questions

I have SOLiD RNA-Seq data for a bacterium that we study grown under two different conditions. We did paired end sequencing but the F5 reads were very poor quality and unusable. The F3 reads were better, but needed significant end-trimming to improve mapping. I am relatively happy with the results so far, but I would really like to get some quantitative information from my data and I am having some issues with Cufflinks.

SHRiMP read mapping:
    I have mapped the reads using SHRiMP using the .sam output option. Then I used samtools to convert the file to an indexed .bam file to view with the Broad Institute's Integrated Genomics Viewer. I have several control genes that I know change expression during the different conditions, and these changes are visually present in the read mapping. However, I would like to get more quantitative information, and I have turned to Cufflinks.

Cufflinks for bacterial RNA Seq:
    Since bacteria don't splice like their eukaryote counterparts, mapping splice junctions isn't useful.

-.gff reference file
    On the cufflinks website they suggest using a minimal .gff file as a guide to map to for FPKM calculation. I downloaded the genbank .gff file for my organism and removed many of the misc_features, leaving only CDS and gene information. Then I used the gffread program that comes with cufflinks to "minimalize" my gff file further.

-SHRiMP .sam file prep
    Then I cleaned up my .sam file to remove extraneous fields left over from SHRiMP, and added the final column to each row "XS:A:+" or "XS:A:-" to indicate the positive or negative strand, as suggested by cufflinks.

-Cufflinks/Cuffdiff
    When I try to run cufflinks or cuffdiff, for some reason both programs think that my .sam file has 0bp reads, and then won't give me any FPKM values (from cufflinks) or differential FPKM values (from cuffdiff).

Does anyone have any suggestions for correcting this problem? Do I need to annotate the TSS's? If so, does anyone have a tool they would recommend for doing this? I definitely want to map TSS's eventually, but first I was just trying to do some quick and dirty quantitative analysis.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!
    -Pete
    Peter Jorth
    PhD Student
    Whiteley Lab
    Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
    University of Texas at Austin

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
0 responses