No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genotyping by Sequencing in silico

Hi
    For testing a given reference genome against different restriction enzymes I've received a recommendation to first mask the repetitive DNA sequence before running the in silico digest. Can anyone suggest a software or script for doing this (I am not a bioinformaticist, but I do have friends We have CLC Bio and we have biopieces currently available to use.
    Many thanks for any suggestions.

I have always heard that there is nothing like collecting empirical data. Simulation might provide some guidance but the actual results (if resources allow it) might be more powerful.
    Just a thought.

Comment

Hi ophurtado. I agree that often experience is the best teacher, and I look forward to learning. Until I get the go-ahead from my boss to spend money to gain the experience I am investigating ways of looking at options regarding choice of restriction enzyme by doing in silico digests. Eventually I expect to be able to correlate in silico data to actual data. Thanks for the reminder

Comment

You can download masked genomes from ensembl, I think.

I'm not sure why you would want to mask then, though. If that DNA is really there, and will really be cut, and will really make pieces of a certain size, don't you need to know that?

Comment

Hi swbarnes2
          The GBS strategy is used as a method of reduced representation library construction. Of course there are good and not-so-good things about this method, but it is being used successfully in a number of different agricultural genotyping projects. Often the choice for one enzyme (whether single or double digest design) is methylation sensitive. As I understand it, this is to 'skip' repetitive DNA regions and focus in on genic regions.

Follow-up experiments might include using differernt REs or going into the untranslated areas for SNP discovery.

As the core facility where I work will be working initially with researchers who are at the beginning of SNP discovery, we expect to focus in on areas of the genome where we would (hopefully) determine a novel SNP (marker) in a QTL of interest to the breeders.

At the beginning it is always a mystery, and I may realize my naivite as the process evolves.

Thanks for the tip about ensembl.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses