SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using Tophat with low quality Illumina Reads sphil Bioinformatics 5 08-02-2011 08:28 AM
trimming unreliable ends of reads Kotoro Bioinformatics 4 07-20-2011 08:13 AM
Periodical illumina read length distribution after trimming of low-quality bases luxmare General 4 12-20-2010 04:18 PM
Reason for low quality of illumina reads nvteja Illumina/Solexa 2 07-07-2010 10:41 AM

Old 02-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
ecabot

Default How will trimming low-quality ends of Illumina reads affect TopHat and Cufflinks?

Hello Bowtie/TopHat/Cufflinks developers and user community,

I want to use TopHat and CuffLinks with 75 bp long paired-end Illumina data (i.e. 2x75). With this particular data set many of the reads suffer from low quality base-calls on either end and I would like to trim the individual reads, rather than simply lop-off a set number of bases off the end of each.

I really don't know the implications of doing this with respect to TopHat and Cufflinks.

-Will TopHat have any inherent problem with non-uniform read lengths?

-Trimming will likely affect the distribution of inner paired-end distances (presumably making them larger). I already know the distribution from the non-trimmed data and I realize that with some initial mapping I can get more accurate representation of the distribution after trimming, but I wonder: How sensitive is TopHat to the settings of the -mate-inner-dist and -mate-std-dev parameters?

-What are the implications of trimming with respect to CuffLinks? In particular, is this likely to this introduce any severe bias in the calculation of FPKM?

Can anyone suggest any other considerations about running this suite of programs with trimmed data?

Regards,

Eric L. Cabot,
Genome Center of Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin, Madison
ecabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
dan
wiki wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecabot View Post
I already know the distribution from the non-trimmed data and I realize that with some initial mapping I can get more accurate representation of the distribution after trimming
Can you expand on this point? i.e. what distribution do you see before and after trimming?

My (untested) feeling was that mapping should not be quality dependent, as either the read maps over a reasonable length or it doesn't. i.e. trimming should not be necessary for read mapping.