SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Threshold quality score to determine the quality read of ILLUMINA reads problem edge Illumina/Solexa 35 11-02-2015 11:31 AM
Periodical illumina read length distribution after trimming of low-quality bases luxmare General 4 12-20-2010 04:18 PM
Threshold quality score to determine the quality read of ILLUMINA reads problem edge General 1 09-13-2010 03:22 PM
Reason for low quality of illumina reads nvteja Illumina/Solexa 2 07-07-2010 10:41 AM
How will trimming low-quality ends of Illumina reads affect TopHat and Cufflinks? ecabot RNA Sequencing 1 02-25-2010 09:31 AM

Old 05-14-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
sphil

Default Using Tophat with low quality Illumina Reads

Hello,

i know that Tophat is one of best choices to get exon-exon structures with short reads but my problem is that the sequencer got problems with their laser while detecting the nt. So all of the reads (completly 82 bp) get an "N" at Postions 54 / 55 of 82. My question ist can TooHat or even BLAT handle this?

regards

Philip
sphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
lifeng.tian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphil View Post
Hello,
So all of the reads (completly 82 bp) get an "N" at Postions 54 / 55 of 82. My question ist can TooHat or even BLAT handle this?

Philip
Philip,
I did comparison study between TopHat and BLAT recently on my 75 nt data set. I replaced certain position with N. Both TopHat and BLAT can handle this case well ( two N at position 50,51, TopHat found 164,481 junctions, ie. 1.3% less than original data set).

Lifeng

Last edited by lifeng.tian; 05-15-2010 at 08:05 AM.
lifeng.tian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
sphil

hey...
thanks for fast reply i will post my results in case....

edit:

i know it should be a new thread but i think its almost a 1 qustion / 1 answer post so:
can tophat handle long FLX-454 reads? (avg. length of 260bp) or is blat state of the art to get exon-exon structures with long reads?

greets

philip

Last edited by sphil; 05-15-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
lifeng.tian

Quote:
hey...

can tophat handle long FLX-454 reads? (avg. length of 260bp) or is blat state of the art to get exon-exon structures with long reads?

philip

with my illumina data (130 nt, paired), BLAT works better than TopHat, it
found 10% more known Refseq splice junctions.

It'll be interesting to compare both with your data. My bet is BLAT will win
lifeng.tian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
sphil

hey, ok i will brief you if anything unpredictable will happen!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
ParthavJailwala

Quote:
Hello,

i know that Tophat is one of best choices to get exon-exon structures with short reads but my problem is that the sequencer got problems with their laser while detecting the nt. So all of the reads (completly 82 bp) get an "N" at Postions 54 / 55 of 82. My question ist can TooHat or even BLAT handle this?

regards

Philip
Hi Philip,
Tophat internally uses Bowtie which has a combination of parameters that you can adjust to allow it to map in the presence of 'n' mismatches ( I am assuming a 'N' at any position is treated as a mismatch by the algorithm). Some of these parameters are:

--initial-read-mismatches Reads are initially mapped, allowing up to this many mismatches in each read alignment. The default is 2.

--segment-mismatches Read segments are mapped independently, allowing up to this many mismatches in each segment alignment. The default is 2.

-m/--splice-mismatches <int> The maximum number of mismatches that may appear in the "anchor" region of a spliced alignment. The default is 0.

Hope that helps,

Thanks
ParthavJailwala is offline   Reply With Quote