SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NCBI-Blast Database Error. I NEED to create .nal file rvgill Bioinformatics 8 10-28-2016 06:57 AM
How to run blastn against my data (and compare to ncbi nt library)? hlyates Bioinformatics 15 04-07-2015 12:57 AM
indexing the nt database with makembindex to improve blastn (task megablast) runtime augenblick Bioinformatics 0 06-09-2014 06:24 PM
How create a db for NCBI BLASTN SDPA_Pet Bioinformatics 11 04-05-2013 04:07 AM

Old 11-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
jmartin

Default ncbi blastn database error

I have an assembly that I want to screen against genbank's NT database. I'm using ncbi blastn v2.6.0+ and I first downloaded the pre-indexed NT from:

ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/db/nt*.tar.gz

which I extracted and then ran this blastn command:

blastn -db <path>/nt -query <my assembly contigs> -reward 1 -penalty -1 -gapopen 1 -gapextend 2 -word_size 9 -db_soft_mask dust -out <output file> -outfmt 6

and I got an error message saying:

BLAST Database error: Cannot find string algorithm id in algorithm map.

So my first thought was that maybe the pre-packaged version of NT was indexed using a different version of ncbi blast. So then I took the NT fasta file itself and ran:

makeblastdb -in nt -input_type fasta -dbtype nucl -out nt

to index it using the exact version I would be using for the blastn. Then I ran the same blastn command again (pointing to my manually indexed db), and I got the same error message again:

BLAST Database error: Cannot find string algorithm id in algorithm map.

I don't use blast much these days, but in the past I was a heavy user and have never seen this issue before. Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
John Martin
jmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:56 AM   #2
r.rosati

I'm not experienced, but since nobody replied yet: if in `makeblastdb` you chose to name the database "nt", then in `blastn` have you tried using this name, i.e. `-db nt` instead of the complete path? From looking at the code (inexperiencedly) this would seem to be the error:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/IEB/Too.../seqdbimpl.cpp

Last edited by r.rosati; 11-29-2017 at 04:58 AM.
r.rosati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:56 AM   #3
GenoMax

@John: I have not seen this error before either. Your original commands should have been fine.

I suggest that you email blast helpdesk with this error. It would be great if you can post their solution in this thread, once you hear back from them.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote