Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a question about tophat

I am using tophap with solid single-end data.
    the command line is :
    tophat --color --quals -p 8 -o $outdir --library-type fr-secondstrand -G $gtffile hg19 $reads $qual

it reports the error message:
    Error: you must set the mean inner distance between mates with -r

but -r is only for paired-end data, so I don't know what should I do.

Dear Lie

You have to rearrange tophat parameters to run it successfully. Tyr the below mentioned command:

./tophat -G <path to .gtf file> --color --quals <path to index folder/index prefix> <path to .csfasta file> <path to .qual file>

Comment

Dear seqguy
      Thanks a lot!
      I runned the command in your order. It started to run, but reported another error:
      IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/lei/solid/mec1_f3/tmp/left_kept_reads_missing.fq'
      But I can find the file left_kept_reads_missing.fq in the tmp directory.
      So do you have any idea what's going on this time?

Comment

Could you please let me know the configuration of the system you are using to run this pipeline, the organism genome size and also if you are using root user or not.

Comment

it was running on a Server, the CPU is 24x 2.3 GHz, the Memory is 80 GB, and the OS is suse11.0.
          I used the human genome from UCSC.
          I'm not the root user.

Comment

It's strange that this time, I can run it with my previous parameters' order. But still report the same error message: IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/lei/solid/mec1_f3/tmp/left_kept_reads_missing.fq'

Comment

Have you created the bowtie index of your reference genome with -C option?

Comment

sure, I runned tophat before with illumina data, everything was fine. those error just happened when I use solid data.

Comment

1) Check if your GTF and reference genome files are having same naming convention for chromosomes.
                  2) Reference genome index should be in colorspace.
                  3) Check if .csfasta and .qual files are having same counts.

Comment

yes, 1),2),3) are all fine.
                    1) it's possible that the genome fasta file has "chr1" etc. whereas the GTF file has "1" etc. but I ran cuffdiff from the same author successfully with the same GTF file and the original genome from which the bowtie index was built is the same as the one I used there.
                    3) the alignments I ran would never have worked if there had been a different number of reads in the csfasta and .qual files.

Maybe I need to pose my question again to make it clear:

The first time I run the tophat using qsub. It reports the error:

Then, I rearrange the parameters, test it in a local machine with both parameters' orders mentioned above, get another error:
                    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/lei/solid/mec1_f3/tmp/left_kept_reads_missing.fq'

Now, I test it using qsub again, get the same error again:

Comment

could you please share the exact command you are using to run tophat?

Comment

the first script is :

#!/bin/bash

#PBS -N Tophat_lib1
                        #PBS -l nodes=1pn=8:lsdf
                        #PBS -l walltime=50:00:00
                        #PBS -l mem=5g
                        #PBS -M [email protected]
                        #PBS -m ae
                        #PBS -j eo
                        #PBS -e /home/gu/solid/lib1/error

# environment variable for the indexes
                        BOWTIE_INDEXES=/home/gu/solid/bowtieIndex/
                        export BOWTIE_INDEXES
                        reads=/home/gu/solid/lib1/138000338_20101201_FRAG_BC_SEQ0014_bcSample1_lib1_F3.csfasta
                        qual=/home/gu/solid/lib1/138000338_20101201_FRAG_BC_SEQ0014_bcSample1_lib1_F3_QV.qual
                        outdir= /home/gu/solid/lib1
                        gtffile=/ibios/co01/hutter/PlassData/Ensembl57_transcripts_hg19.gtf

tophat -G $gtffile --color --quals -p 8 -o $outdir --library-type fr-secondstrand hg19 $reads $qual

the error code is :Error: you must set the mean inner distance between mates with -r

Comment

the econd script is :

#!/bin/bash

#PBS -N Tophat_lib1
                          #PBS -l nodes=1pn=8:lsdf
                          #PBS -l walltime=50:00:00
                          #PBS -l mem=5g
                          #PBS -M [email protected]
                          #PBS -m ae
                          #PBS -j eo
                          #PBS -e /home/gu/solid/lib1/error

# environment variable for the indexes
                          BOWTIE_INDEXES=/home/gu/solid/bowtieIndex/
                          export BOWTIE_INDEXES
                          #reads=/home/gu/solid/lib1/138000338_20101201_FRAG_BC_SEQ0014_bcSample1_lib1_F3.csfasta
                          #qual=/home/gu/solid/lib1/138000338_20101201_FRAG_BC_SEQ0014_bcSample1_lib1_F3_QV.qual
                          #outdir= /home/gu/solid/lib1
                          #gtffile=/ibios/co01/hutter/PlassData/Ensembl57_transcripts_hg19.gtf

tophat --color --quals -p 8 -o /home/gu/solid/lib1 --library-type fr-secondstrand -G /ibios/co01/hutter/PlassData/Ensembl57_transcripts_hg19.gtf /icgc/lsdf/mb/analysis/hutter/bowtieIndex/hg19 /home/gu/solid/lib1/138000338_20101201_FRAG_BC_SEQ0014_bcSample1_lib1_F3.csfasta /home/gu/solid/lib1/138000338_20101201_FRAG_BC_SEQ0014_bcSample1_lib1_F3_QV.qual

the error code is :
                          [Thu Mar 17 16:12:28 2011] Beginning TopHat run (v1.2.0)
                          -----------------------------------------------
                          [Thu Mar 17 16:12:28 2011] Preparing output location /home/gu/solid/lib1/
                          [Thu Mar 17 16:12:28 2011] Checking for Bowtie index files
                          [Thu Mar 17 16:12:28 2011] Checking for reference FASTA file
                          [Thu Mar 17 16:12:28 2011] Checking for Bowtie
                          Bowtie version: 0.12.7.0
                          [Thu Mar 17 16:12:28 2011] Checking for Samtools
                          Samtools Version: 0.1.12a
                          [Thu Mar 17 16:12:28 2011] Checking reads
                          min read length: 50bp, max read length: 50bp
                          format: fasta
                          [Thu Mar 17 16:14:07 2011] Reading known junctions from GTF file
                          [Thu Mar 17 16:18:51 2011] Mapping reads against hg19 with Bowtie
                          [Thu Mar 17 16:18:51 2011] Joining segment hits
                          Traceback (most recent call last):
                          File "/ibios/tbi_cluster/11.0/x86_64/bin/tophat", line 2346, in <module>
                          sys.exit(main())
                          File "/ibios/tbi_cluster/11.0/x86_64/bin/tophat", line 2304, in main
                          user_supplied_deletions)
                          File "/ibios/tbi_cluster/11.0/x86_64/bin/tophat", line 1972, in spliced_alignment
                          segment_len)
                          File "/ibios/tbi_cluster/11.0/x86_64/bin/tophat", line 1545, in split_reads
                          reads_file = open(reads_filename)
                          IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/gu/solid/lib1/tmp/left_kept_reads_missing.fq'

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses