Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• control data

Now I have my first Solexa data, as it's for MT, which is circular, therefore, some of the reads will overlap the begining and ending, is there some software that can do local alignment, which means, part of the read aligns to the begining and other aligns to the ending?
    Last edited by mingkunli; 02-19-2009, 02:34 AM. Reason: last one is stupid

I have been doing MT alignments and taking the ref seq as is, ignoring missed reads at the ends, and still seem to get useful results.

One option could be to add the first 10-20 bases to the end, making sure the falling-off reads align there..
    --
    bioinfosm

Comment

we are also thinking that

Comment

Eland has an option
        Code:
        8:PAIR_PARAMS --circular
        can be used for mitochondria as well as circular bacterial genomes.

Please let me know the advantage of using above said.
        Regards

Comment

hi seq_GA

thank you for remind me that, but seems it only works with paired reads, unfortunately, I just have single end data

Comment

Despite not worrying about the cut in circular mt genome, I get peaks of coverage at the end points of linearized sequence I use (cambridge reference)
            --
            bioinfosm

Comment

That's strange if it's not the overlap region of your long-range pcr product(in case you use long range pcr).

Comment

Originally posted by mingkunli View Post
                That's strange if it's not the overlap region of your long-range pcr product(in case you use long range pcr).
                Bingo. Thats what I determined as well
                --
                bioinfosm

Comment

mitochondria

Hello

can you kindly let me know how you proceed to seq mtDNA? are there papers?
                  thanks

Vasvale

Comment

I use the following for mt when aligning against the human NCBI ref and it seems to do the job.

1234678:PAIR_PARAMS --circular=cMT.fa --min-single-read-alignment-score=1

If you don't have paired end you could probably do something a bit brute force and create two genome files, one normal and one with the beginning offset a few hundred base pairs (cut a bit of the end and move it to the beginning). Then a quick script should be able to correct and combine the two. Or you could use a different aligner than eland.

Brad
                    Last edited by basickler; 04-17-2009, 08:02 AM.

Comment

mtDNA

Thank you, my question is about the upstream phase of the experiments, do you enrich by PCR pr long range PCR? can you append barcodes?

thanks

Vasvale

Comment

Yes, we used long range pcr and have also bar-coded the samples.
                        --
                        bioinfosm

Comment

would it be possible to have some details about how you do long range PCR and barcoding? I noticed that there are so many polymorphisms that it seems hard to design primers in conserved regions

thanks

Vasvale

Comment

I don't do wet work. What I can tell you is they tried lots of primers, and most of them don't work, even works, only on some individuals.
                            concerning the barcoding, we use the protocol published on nature protocol 2008 which is for 454, meanwhile, we are designing new protocol.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                            • seqadmin
                              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                            0 responses