No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geneious: Any good ?

Dear all,

Has any of you tried the Geneious software for Next-Gen sequence assembly or for other applications? Is it worth paying for a software that use 70% of non-commercial sofware in its suite?

Thank you for your feedback,

antoine

I use it for short read assembly on my desktop which has only 2 Gb ram. Very slow compared to Velvet but nice graphical outputs that I have used in publications and ppt presentations. It is easy to use on Mac and PC for someone like me who has no bioinformatics support to teach me how to assemble and annotate sequences.

Comment

Thank you Milkman for your feedback

Comment

Nice graphics but only the Pro version accepts SAM/GFF/GFF3 format.

1. No jumping to position in contigs using coordinates
        2. No support for BAM files
        3. Slow to load large SAM files
        4. Cannot view multiple tracks in 1 view

Better off using a free viewer for NGS like IGV, Tablet, Savant and many more.

Geneious is great for doing the basic sequence analysis, low throughput kind of work like drawing trees, BLASTing sequences, Clustalw. Not something I would spend money on.

Comment

Geneious

I use geneious pro for more than low throughput tasks such as alignments, trees etc, although it is good with them too. With Illumina data (78 nt reads) it will quite quicky do denovo assembly of 20 million reads then batch Blast the contigs in groups of 200. With reference assembly it is faster, of course. For someone without Perl/Unix experience, I recommend it. The free version is worth playing with until you can find the $400 for Pro.

Comment

FYI the next version of Geneious i.e 5.4 will support BAM files.

Comment

Ok thank you all for your feedback. It seems that Geneious is more suitable for biologists than for bioinformaticians.

Thanks

antoine

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses