No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cytosol/Nucleus ratio from RNA-seq

Hello,
    I have RNA-seq data from nucleus and cytosol fractions for a couple of different cell types. I am interested in determining the ratio of cytosol to nucleus expression for each cell type. My plan is to first calculate spike in normalized RPKM for each of gene by calculating RPKM ( exon only), then divide by the average NIST 14 spike in(ERCC) for each experiment. Then, for each gene in every cell type, calculate the cytosol/nucleus ratio as the sum of spike in normalized replicates in the cytosol, over the sum of the spike in normalized replicates in the nucleus.

Is this a valid measurement of cytsolic vs. nucleus expression?

Thank you,
    Adam

does anyone have experience with this?
    Thank you for your time!

Comment

In my experience with very similar calculations, there is something about the RPKM normalization which makes ERCC spike-ins behave abnormally in cases with widely-disparate RNA content, which i imagine that nucleus vs cytosol would fall into the category of. I can point you to some figures demonstrating this, if you'd like.

Your calculation is, I believe, an accurate one to do, if you're dealing with unnormalized data to begin with (raw counts, for example). One similar calculation which i use to determine the relative RNA content of two cells follows:

ρ=(<Total mass of spike-in>/<Total mass of sample>) * (<Total non-spike-in counts>/<Total counts of spike-in>)

It's a little unclear what you mean by "average NIST 14 spike in", but if you're referring to ERCC-00014, i wouldn't recommend choosing that particular spike in to normalize against, since it is present at a very low concentration in the commonly-used pools and therefore more affected by noise. In the above calculation, i actually use the *sum* of all 96 spike-ins for the mass and count calculations, although they don't vary too significantly if you choose a subset or even a single highly-expressed control to normalize to.
      Last edited by jparsons; 04-21-2014, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses