No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repeat masking

Hi everyone,

We have whole genome data from a number of tumour-normal pairs, and are looking at our score distributions for somatic changes. We find that some of the highest scores look like errors due to read pile up in repetitive regions when viewed in IGV. Thus we are beginning to think about masking repetitive parts of the genome using repeat masker or something similar.

Does anyone have any tips on how to go about this? I've had a brief look, and to me it seems I could mask up to 50% of the genome using the least stringent criteria. Does anyone have any experience to get me started? Which programs/repeat libraries are the best to use.

Thank you for your help,
    Amy.

For homology based repeat masking I would use RepeatMasker (www.repeatmasker.org/) together with Repbase (www.girinst.org/repbase/). Its easy to use and usually provides very good results.

If you want to uncover de novo repeats there are many programs you could choose from, e.g., LTRfinder, PILER, RepeatScout.

Comment

When you do your alignment, you could align for only unique sequences (sequences that match to only 1 place on the genome). This can be done in bowtie by inserting -m 1.

Also, have a look at The Uniqueome: A mappability resource for short-tag sequencing,http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals...s.btq640.short and here for a turorial:http://grimmond.imb.uq.edu.au/unique...ary_File_2.pdf

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses