No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illumina to sequence region of 50 kB

Hi there,

is it possible to somehow entirely sequence a region of 50 kB (reference genome available) from a specific chromosome of one individual with Illumina sequencing (100 cycle runs)? If so, could you give me any references (protocols, studies) describing this method?

Thank you a lot!

overlapping PCR amplicons?
    Or you could speak to agilent about producing RNA baits for the 50kb region and do the enrichment.
    There will be other ways but these two are just off the top of my head.

Comment

Sorry, probably beginner question: by overlapping PCR amplicons you mean just enrich the region of interest with PCR by making several overlapping fragments (how long are those fragments normally?), and then shear them, ligate a Illumina adapter to them and sequence them? - I guess though 454 sequencing would be more appropriate for this, or are 100 cycle Illumina runs long enough to find long enough overlapps between 100bp-fragments to correctly align these afterwards to get the whole 50kB region?

Comment

With deep Illumina paired-end coverage you should have no trouble finding the overlaps and assembling such a project. Amplicon length can be quite long, if you use a long PCR kit.

As someone pointed out, Agilent, Nimblegen and others will design custom oligos to cover a region. For a single individual, you'd probably be hybridizing to a microarray. If you don't want to do this yourself, many service providers can handle it.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your answers. - How about single-end, would this even be good enough quality? And how about 76 cycles single-end? Since I have some reads left (about 15 Mio) within a 76-single end lane I could use, I wonder if this would even work out (I would barcode the samples). For lets say a 50 kb fragment, how many 76-single end reads would I need to get a coverage high enough to be able to afterwards align these sort sequence to the whole 50 kb fragment?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses