No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analyzing miRNA data using MirExpress

Hello guys,
    I have to compare two datasets of miRNA sequencing (Illumina data). I installed and ran mirexpress for the two datasets.
    Is there any way to compare the results? I intend to observe the miRNAs differentially expressed between these two datasets. Do I have to normalize the data, or the mirexpress output is already normalized?
    Tahnk you

Based on the information on their site...I have no idea. One possible clue is whether the "expressions" are integers or if they are floating point values. If they are integer then its likely the are raw, unnormalized counts. If they are decimal values then its possible they have been normalized already. It looks like they deal with raw counts and sums of counts so I'd expect the output to be integer and be unnormalized. One would expect the sum of the counts within a sample to be higher for a sample with more reads than for one with fewer reads. Maybe you can test that theory out to see if the data is unnormalized. One more possible check is to plot the expressions against each other. The points should appear to be mostly symmetrical about a 45 degree line projected from (0,0). If he points are obviously shifted to one side or the other then the data is probably not normalized.
    /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
    Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Comment

Hello sdriscoll, in fact the values are integers. I tested with other sequence data, and is all the same... Integers.
      I saw something about a R package to work with this. I will take a look and post back some informations.
      Thank you

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses