No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enough reads in Chip-Seq?

Dear Community,

I am new to ChIP-seq so please be gentle.

Analyzing ChIP-seq data - public and from my collaborators - I realized that the minimum of reads is varying very much - NCBI's minimum to submit ChIP-seq is 1 million short reads I heard and I saw published data with even less than that.

Looking at the distribution of reads in UCSC browser (by uploading the .bam files) it looks very random over the whole genome, sometimes reads are stacking up a bit.

Here the questions:

A) Should you normally be able to spot peaks visually?
    The peak callers take into account fragment size as well I suppose, but usually should you be able to see distinct peaks by eye?

B) If not - if it looks all over the genome, does that mean that there are not enough reads to detect peaks reliable?

C) How many reads would you recommend minimum for Illumina GAIIx - read length 37 - 42nt for TFs like Myc-n or NFkB-p50?

Thank you very much

A) Very much so.
    B) Either that or your ChIP did not work.
    C) Very much depends on the antibody, and the portion of the genome covered by your factor. For those two, I'd start at minimum of 20 million reads, but I'd expect a need to increase the depth.

Comment

thanks,

It is expected that those factors bind a lot in the genome

Comment

Indeed - but then at least for myc I know that the antibody is pretty decent.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
        • seqadmin
          The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
          by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
          02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
        0 responses