Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How reproducible is TF ChIP-Seq?

Has anyone looked at the reproducibilty of ChIP-Seq for transcription factors?
    I realise that in the past expense has meant that many papers have been published without duplicates. However as costs have begun to fall has anyone seen duplicates being done and if so to what extent do peaks overlap between samples?

Any input welcome.

It is discussed in the PeakSeq paper (Park et al) and the standard for Encode datasets are now to include two replicates.

Comment

There are quite a few papers out there with no replicates and/or without input controls. Even with the high cost of sequencing, I don't think it was an excuse. I'd bet pressure to publish is more of an issue then cost most of the time.

I'd hope that anyone reviewing papers from here out requires a minimum of two biological replicates of both ChIP'ed DNA and input DNA.

I think another issue is how are reviewers to assess data when they are given perhaps a couple cherry picked peaks in a figure and not browsable tracks?

The bottom line is reproducibility varies. Variation will go down as techniques, expertise and technology improves.
      --------------
      Ethan

Comment

If you need replicates or not depends on the type of questions you are asking and in what other ways you follow up the results. Also, in most cases the "single replicates" were actually several pooled ChIPs.

Comment

Ok thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
          I'll check out that reference.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses