Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BowTie 1 Inaccuracy 30 % ?

From BowTie Paper I found that, it is able to find exact matches and also in exact matches. Now, from bowtie manual, I found how to build index for a genomic database. So, I build it using command,

Code:
    bowtie-build hg19.fa hg19
    Now, I want to run a query read file named "a493081_1.fastq" to find exact and inexact matches (allowing 1,2 and 3 substitutions - as specified in BowTie paper) for 150 bps read length.

So, I issue the command

Code:
    ./bowtie --all -v 0 hg19 a493081_1.fastq a.txt
    to find all alignments with 0 mismatch. And BowTie outputs,

Code:
    # reads processed: 200000
    # reads with at least one reported alignment: 145692 (72.85%)
    # reads that failed to align: 54308 (27.15%)
    Reported 173932 alignments to 1 output stream(s)
    However, all reads are taken from hg19, so BowTie should give output "NO reads that failed to align". BowTie provides inaccurate matching, but near about 30 % inaccuracy is not similar as I found from various comparison. Can anybody help me, in what reasons this inaccuracy can happen or any procedure to make it more accurate.

Additional: I should mention, my fastq file contains 150 bps single end reads.
    Last edited by Arupsss; 06-23-2012, 08:06 AM.

Any reason you are.not using bowtie2?

Comment

Originally posted by genericforms View Post
      Any reason you are.not using bowtie2?
      I will use BWA, BoWtie 2 also to find a nice comparison ( I am just doing testing) . However, actually I want to know:

Is it possible to reach error of 30 % for BowTie 1 ? Or I am making some mistakes ?

Comment

Bowtie considers a 'N' in a read a mismatch - to quote the manual 'Ambiguous characters in the read mismatch all other characters.'

Depending on how you sampled the reads, that might explain 0 to 100% of your non matching reads.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
        • seqadmin
          The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
          by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
          02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
        0 responses