X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discordance between Cluster Density and Thumbnail images

Hi all,

I ran MiSeq using a 500 cycles kit.
    The value for cluster density was 310K/mm2 but if I'm going to look the thumbnail images, I think I have much more cluster than that.

Illumina tech looked the results and says "you are overclusterized".
    But for me cluster density is OK when I've reviewed the images.

I'm attaching here 4 images from cycle 1.

Could you tell me your opinion?
    Thank you!!
    Soledad
    Attached Files

To me reported cluster density is what I would expect from the images. The run has been underclustered for a library that looks high diversity although I am assuming that the base diversity of other cycles are similar to the first cycle.

Comment

What's the scale on the little yellow boxes?

Comment

That looks about right to me for 300-500K/mm2 raw density (and NOT overclustered). Those intensities look reasonable to me too for cycle 1 given the MiSeq ramps up exposure on the cameras at each cycle to counter the typical decreasing intensity plots on their instruments.

Comment

Ok! Thank you.
          I'm using 10 pM (from 4 nM) to get this result.
          What do you think I have to use now? 12 or 15 pM to get a good run?

Comment

What's your percentage passing filter?

Comment

Hi,

95.27% PF

Comment

If 95% of them are passing filter, then you are definitely not overclustered. If you were overclustered your percentage passing filter would be low.

Unfortunately, the relationship between loading concentration and clusters is not linear so it's always a guess. I find that getting good cluster density is the Achilles' heel of the Illumina Miseq. My guess would be to go with the 15 pM since your density was so low.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
                  What's the scale on the little yellow boxes?
                  I don't know, but when I looked into it in the past, it seemed that the size of a cluster was around 1um in diameter. But that may have been on a HiSeq. I'm not sure whether the scales would be different on a MiSeq.

Old-timers like @ECO would be more likely to know. (Alas, I don't think @ callouts actually work on SeqAnswers...)

--
                  Phillip

Comment

Illumina has a note on optimizing cluster density available here.

@soledad: Have you checked what the images look like in the middle and at the end of run?
                    Last edited by GenoMax; 02-17-2017, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Someone has quantified libraries before dilution? When you prepare 2 nM dilutions?
                      I've quantified before and after that final dilution now because this is the first run when I have this problem and I'd like to compare these results.
                      Always I was between 1000-1200 K/mm2 using a 300 cycles kit.
                      This time I did the same process... and the only variable is I'm using 500 cycles kit.
                      But the library concentration will be the same.. so I don't understand what happens.

Comment

It is most likely overestimating library concentration if you have used the same type of library. qPCR is the best method for quantification, other methods that quantify dsDNA are inadequate for libraries that contain non-sequenceable dsDNA fragments.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                        • seqadmin
                          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                        0 responses