No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutoffs for TPM values

Hi,

I'm using RSEM to compute gene expression values for two different RNA-seq sample. RSEM outputs tau value which I then converted to TPM value by multiplying it by 10^6.

1) Is there a minimum cutoff value I should set for TPM value? I see some papers filter out genes with TPM < 1 or TPM < 5 before proceeding to further analysis. How do I determine what cutoff should be used?

2) In a set of gene expression results, is it possible to determine which genes are considered highly expressed and which are expressed at low levels? I've see some papers use 1 < TPM < 9 as low and TPM >=100 as moderate/highly expressed, while others use percentiles (e.g. >= 75% percentile as highly expressed).

Thanks in advance.

We seem to have the same issue than several years ago.
    We have a set of RSEM files from different samples and our results from EdgeR point out that we have a lot of noise since we have not filtered out the transcripts based depth of coverage or counts (TPMs, ...).

We have seen that, in our data, a TPM of about 1 use to have around 3x DoC. However, we are not sure how to establish a cutoff or if it is enough by obtaining such relationship and choose the DoC we are confident with.

In addition, we have the question whether we should reanalyze edgeR results after filtering RSEM files, or if "translating" the filtering to the edgeR results would suffice.

Any hint?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
      Yesterday, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses