No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TopHat limit length

Dear all,

I'm trying to use Tophat with 8 million single-end reads of 75 bp. I set all options that concern minimum intron length to 30 (because the minimum intron length in my genome reference is 39), all other option are set to the default value:
    -i 30
    --min-coverage-intron 30
    --min-segment-intron 30
    --min-closure-intron 30

In this conditions it works until the step of "Joining segment hits", but it never passed this step. I'm still waiting since yesterday morning!!!!
    Is it normal? How many times does it take?

If I test this conditions on 8 millions single-end read of 35bp it completly works in ~25 minutes.

thanks for your help

Maria

How are you running the program (i.e. command line options)? Which version are you using?

It's not normal: I routinely run more than 150 million 75bp reads, and that step takes no more than an hour (when our filesystem is running slowly).

Comment

Hi,

I use the last version of bowtie (0.11.3) and the last version of tophat (1.0.11) with the command line:

./tophat-1.0.11/bin/tophat -i 30 --min-coverage-intron 30 --min-segment-intron 30 --min-closure-intron 30 -o res-70/ index/trichoderma-ref 70a.fq

The same commande line works well on the 35bp read.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses