SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tru Seq-Very faint bands of small RNA library jaymiRNA Sample Prep / Library Generation 8 09-20-2012 08:58 AM
Sample/library prep of DNA and RNA in a metagenomic sample chrisaw01 Metagenomics 1 05-05-2011 02:59 PM
PubMed: Molecular diagnosis for heterogeneous genetic diseases with targeted high-thr Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 12-15-2010 11:20 AM
PubMed: Extraction of high molecular weight DNA from microbial mats. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 09-22-2010 03:00 AM
Low Molecular Weight sample and primer dimers jsandler 454 Pyrosequencing 1 08-26-2009 02:27 AM

Old 02-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
monkey_SEQ

Default High molecular bands in RNA isolation sample

I am attempting a de novo transcriptome assembly and have a question about genomic DNA contamination. I have treated my RNA samples twice with DNAseI (on-column and then afterwards in solution as it seemed that there was still HMW smears present). After both these treatments I still feel that I have not gotten rid of the HMW smears (see att 1% agarose gel, RNA ladder). I don’t have primers available to definitively test for gDNA. Could somebody please comment on what these HMW smear can be?

(PS. Only a single rRNA band present as this is an insect species with a ‘hidden break' in the 28S rRNA).

What effect will contaminated gDNA sequences have on the transcriptome assembly process?

Much appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide1.jpg (37.3 KB, 11 views)
monkey_SEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
ywg

How about do a RNAase test. treat small aliquot of rRNA with RNAase. compare with and without RNAase to confirm it is real gDNA contamination?
ywg is offline   Reply With Quote