SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Estimating fragment length from single end data intregen Bioinformatics 1 09-03-2015 04:19 PM
Concern about short fragment size and high duplication rate in paired-end ChIP-Seq biznatch Epigenetics 9 08-13-2013 10:51 PM
What is the longest fragment for Illumina Mate pair end seq library? ychang Sample Prep / Library Generation 4 03-08-2012 12:11 AM
Cufflinks - fragment mean length for single-end reads marcho Bioinformatics 3 09-28-2011 01:48 PM
definition of "fragment" in FPKM in single end reads thinkRNA Bioinformatics 1 06-25-2010 06:00 AM

Old 02-28-2019, 05:50 AM   #1
zaratieg

Default Sequencing beyond the end of the fragment

Hi everyone

We've had a problem with a sequencing run and I would like to ask for a re-run with justification.

We submitted 4 libraries to size-select via pippin prep, pool and run SE 150 on a MiSeq. The pippin prep was to select between 200-600bp fragments, and apparently worked well (image of one of the libraries attached, the others looked the same).

The run came back and it's pretty obvious that something went wrong. between 70-80% of the reads are primer dimers, sized 135bp. I'm attaching the FastQC per-base quality. The first 6bp were in-line barcode. After that there is a big drop in quality at the 77bp mark, which is the end of the primer dimer fragment. However, the fragments keep giving base calls, albeit at very poor quality. Is this what the software does when the reads go beyond the end of the fragment?

The discrepancy between the reads and the bioanalyzer profile post-pippinprep makes me think that they messed up and loaded the pre-pippinprep sample into the flow cell. But I can also imagine that the bioanalyzer could give a wrong size profile in some conditions, or that there could be some primer dimer contamination that would not be visible on bioanalyzer.

Does anyone have experience in this kind of problem? Should the read lengths from the MiSeq run be concordant with the bioanalyzer profile, or is that too much to ask?

Thank you in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: png BApostpippin.png (97.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: png fastQCpbq.png (39.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by zaratieg; 02-28-2019 at 06:01 AM.
zaratieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:27 AM   #2
whyseq

The trace that you are presenting here, shows fragments that go beyond 600 bp that are even overlapping with the upper marker. Is this picture from the library before size-selection? That's what it looks like.
whyseq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:47 AM   #3
zaratieg

Thanks for your reply. No, this is supposed to be post size selection. I didn't pay attention to that part, I thought that was their size marker. I saw the well defined bump between 200-600 and assumed that that's what was selected. Does that mean that the pippin prep purification failed?
zaratieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioanaly, miseq, pippin