No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird PNEXT and RNEXT values in Bam from BWA

Hi All,

I'm using BWA to align some paired end illunmina data. The reads vary in length, but around 45-50bp. I fully expect that a large portion of reads will not pair nicely.

I run BWA aln on each end, and then sampe to pair the reads.

In the resulting sam file, I get many examples of reads where each end looks perfectly well aligned, but the PNEXT and RNEXT columns for one read will not match the RNAME and POS of the pair. e.g.:

Code:
    HISEQ:62:H0L2YADXX:2:2202:8851:45247	129	chr1	7856175	37	44M	=	8863975	1007800	AGACACCCCCGACCCATTTTAGACATTCCTTAGCCCAGACTTGG	GDHCFEEFFDC?BBB<CCDEFCCCCCCCDCCCCCCC?A<@CCCC	XT:A:U	NM:i:1	SM:i:37	AM:i:37	X0:i:1	X1:i:0	XM:i:1	XO:i:0	XG:i:0	MD:Z:9A34
    HISEQ:62:H0L2YADXX:2:2202:8851:45247	113	chr1	7856291	37	46M	chr3	18931504	0	GGATGGTAGGGATGGTTATTGCTACAGGGTTATCATTGCGTCTAGA	?CACDBCDDBCA>CCC@DDCCACADBBDDDDCCCBB?8BCFEBBFD	XT:A:U	NM:i:1	SM:i:37	AM:i:37	X0:i:1	X1:i:0	XM:i:1	XO:i:0	XG:i:0	MD:Z:39A6
    The flags suggest that each read is mapped, and the tags that they map uniquely. I was hoping to use the the RNEXT and PNEXT in some downstream analysis, any ideas why they are so messed up? I'm also worried that the pairing is off somewhere and that the reads I think are mates are not.

The alignment was produced using bwa-0.7.5a against hg19 with following commands

Code:
    bwa aln -l 25 -k 2 -n 5 -t 4 /ifs/mirror/genomes/bwa-0.7.5a/hg19 <( gunzip < test.fq.1.gz )  > test.1.sai 2>test.log
    bwa aln -l 25 -k 2 -n 5 -t 4 /ifs/mirror/genomes/bwa-0.7.5a/hg19 <( gunzip < test.fq.2.gz ) > test.2.sai 2>>test.log
    bwa sampe -A /ifs/mirror/genomes/bwa-0.7.5a/hg19 test.1.sai test.2.sai     <( gunzip < test.fq.1.gz ) <( gunzip < test.fq.2.gz )  test.sam 2>>test.log
    I've checked that the reads are in the same order in the fastq files:

Code:
    zcat test.fq.1.gz | awk '{if(NR%4==1) print $1}' > test.1.names
    zcat test.fq.2.gz | awk '{if(NR%4==1) print $1}' > test.2.names
    paste test.1.names test.2.names | awk '{if ($1 != $2) print $0}' | wc -l
    and that no names are duplicated:

Code:
    wc -l test.1.names
    594 test.1.names

wc -l test.2.names
    594 test.2.names

cat test.1.names | sort | uniq | wc -l

cat test.2.names | sort | uniq | wc -l
    I've pretty much run out of ideas. Is this a bug in BWA or am I miss interpreting what should be in these fields?

I include a sample of reads for reproduction purposes.

Any suggestions appreciated

Ian
    ---
    Attached Files

My suggestion would be to send a bug report to the BWA developers (with your test fastq files attached). This doesn't look like something that should happen. Have you tried other programs to see if the error persists?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses