No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error with makeblastdb from UniProt fasta file: no sequences were found

Hello there

I am trying to create a custom database for BLAST to run a local BLAST with some of my own proetin sequences.

First, I searched for sequences from IDs in UniProt Retrieve/ID mapping tool. Then, I downloaded the output in FASTA (canonical) format.

With this file, I tried to run 'makblastdb' on BLAST 2.8.1+ standalone executable through command line in Windows 10 (ftp version I downloaded is named after 'Windows 7'):

Code:
     makeblastdb -in prots.fasta -parse_seqids -blastdb_version 5 -dbtype prot -out prots
    and I always get the same error:

Code:
    No volumes were created because no sequences were found
    I have tried several modifications on the command line, such as not using '-parse_seqids' or including/excluding '-out' option. Similarly, I have tried several modifications on my FASTA file, such as changing '|' to a lower bar or eliminating spaces (entering a lower bar instead, again) or reducing ID length... and I always got the same error.

What is intriguing me is that the command worked if I only used as input a FASTA file with only one sequence, although I only got two output files, i.e. '.pdb' and '.pdb-lock' files.

Any idea on what is going wrong? How can it be possible to have the problem with more than one sequences in the file but not with only one?

I have searched many different forums and I did not find anything similar...

Thanks a lot

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses