No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bam file to junctions.bed

Hi:

I received aligned BAM file and do not have a raw sequence file.

My aim is to count how many reads skip exon 7 of a gene and how many reads do not skip, in addition to reads that span exons 6 and 7 ; 7 and 8.

Ex 6-------- Ex 7 -------- Ex 8
    ___________ __________ => Condition1: reads that span 6-7 and exs 7-8
    ____//////////////////////___ => Condition 2:reads skipping exon 7
    ___________________ => Condition 3: reads that span exon 6,7 and end in 8.

Is there a way to get numbers from my BAM file for above 3 conditions.

Yes, if I have raw reads, i would use TopHat and get junctions.bed to deduce these. However, the BAM file was not generated using TopHat and I don't have access to raw sequences.

Is there a way to get junctions.bed - perhaps convert bam to FASTA and then realign using Tophat. This potentially 'would' corrupt the paired end structure..leading to loss of read numbers..( I am not so sure about this though)

Or

Is there any other smart way to just count reads that jump exon 7.

Appreciate any response. Thanks a lot.

Adrian

The simplest method would be to just script this in pysam (or whatever language you prefer).

BTW, you can convert the BAM file to fastq and realign that, but it's faster to just write a little python script.

Comment

Thank you.
      Is there a particular function that I could use? If not what would be the logic to get those read stats.

thanks
      Adrian

Comment

The general idea is to:
        1. Iterate over the reads
        2. For each read, get its start and end position.
        3. If at least one of the exons could be between those coordinates then get the CIGAR
        4. Parse the CIGAR string into a sequence of aligned regions
        5. For each region, note if it overlaps one of your exons. Add that to a vector or a data structure of your choice (you could even just use an integer as a bitmap).
        6. Once you've iterated through the aligned regions for a read of interest, look at the structure from the previous step and proceed as desired.

That's the general idea. If your BAM file is coordinate sorted and indexed, then you can simply request the reads covering the regions of interest, which will make things a bit quicker.

Comment

Here's a rough idea of how to do bam2fastq:
          Code:
          samtools view file.bam | awk -F '\t' '{print ">"$1"\n"$10"\n+\n"$11}' > file.fastq
          Unfortunately this will give you a fastq file with interleaved reads, which can be a little bit of a pain to use. You can use the filter function (-f / -F) of samtools view to get around that, reading through the BAM file twice:

Code:
          samtools view -f 0x40 file.bam | awk -F '\t' '{print ">"$1"\n"$10"\n+\n"$11}' > file_R1.fastq
          samtools view -f 0x80 file.bam | awk -F '\t' '{print ">"$1"\n"$10"\n+\n"$11}' > file_R2.fastq
          The SAM File format specification is your friend, see section 1.4.

The process of BAM -> FASTQ -> Tophat is slower in terms of computer time, but from your description it sounds like it will be quicker in terms of bum-on-seat time.
          Last edited by gringer; 06-08-2014, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
          • seqadmin
            The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
            by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
            02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
          0 responses