No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454 GS FLX Titanium 'paired end' protocol

Hi,
    I know this is an obsolete technology, but I came across some data produced on the 454 instrument (archived in SRA/ENA) which I'd like to use for assembly.
    According to the meta data, insert sizes are 8kb and 20kb, but I wasn't able to figure out the protocol used to produce the libraries. I gather that this is some variant on what we'd now call mate-pair, but I'm not sure if I can treat the data exactly the same way as data coming from Illumina mate-pair libraries, in terms of read orientation, insert size distribution etc.
    Had anyone worked with such data, or can direct me to some documentation about it? I failed to find anything in the current Roche docs.
    Thanks!

Originally posted by soungalo View Post
    Hi,
    I know this is an obsolete technology, but I came across some data produced on the 454 instrument (archived in SRA/ENA) which I'd like to use for assembly.
    According to the meta data, insert sizes are 8kb and 20kb, but I wasn't able to figure out the protocol used to produce the libraries. I gather that this is some variant on what we'd now call mate-pair, but I'm not sure if I can treat the data exactly the same way as data coming from Illumina mate-pair libraries, in terms of read orientation, insert size distribution etc.
    Had anyone worked with such data, or can direct me to some documentation about it? I failed to find anything in the current Roche docs.
    Thanks!

Wow, time to fire up the WayBack Machine Mr. Peabody.

Yes, 454 "Paired End" technology is similar in design to Illumina Mate Pair tech. A large fragment is circularized with a linker, the circular DNA is fragmented and the piece with the linker is enriched. It is then sequenced and the linker sequence is identified to separate the "forward" and "reverse" reads. I have attached a 454 data processing manual; look at section 4.6 for information about paired end data.

Here are some links to previous thread on SeqAnswers discussing 454 paired end reads:

Pyrosequencing in picotiter plates, custom arrays for enrichment/decomplexing. (Roche)

Pyrosequencing in picotiter plates, custom arrays for enrichment/decomplexing. (Roche)

This latter thread includes a post with the linker sequences (post #2). There are different linker sequencing depending which generation of the library prep kit was used, FLX or Titanium.
    Attached Files

Comment

Is the 454 Paired End technology beginner friendly, so to speak? How difficult is it to get into?
      Experts are blown away by these golf rangefinders for many reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by DonnellM View Post
        Is the 454 Paired End technology beginner friendly, so to speak? How difficult is it to get into?
        See the OP. The 454 is obsolete. Reagents no longer available to run the instrument. Hard to get less "beginner friendly" than "dead".

--
        Phillip

Comment

In the age of long read sequencing (PacBio, Nanopore) and linked reads (10X Genomics), "mate pair" sequencing is as obsolete as 454.

Comment

I wouldn't go that far! Cheap (no-agarose-gel) Illumina mate-pair libraries are still legitimate, if trailing-edge, technologies.

454 is *dead*, dead.

--
            Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
            • seqadmin
              The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
              by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
              02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
            0 responses