No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TopHat on a 32 bit machine

Dear Bioinformaticians.

Can TopHat be installed on a 32bit Ubuntu (Linux ubuntu 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux) installation? I tried and get the following:

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -Wall -g -m64 -O3 -DNDEBUG -I./SeqAn-1.1 -Wall -g -m64 -O3 -DNDEBUG -MT reads.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/reads.Tpo -c -o reads.o reads.cpp
    In file included from /usr/include/features.h:378,
    from /usr/include/assert.h:37,
    from /usr/include/c++/4.4/cassert:45,
    from reads.cpp:14:
    /usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:9:27: error: gnu/stubs-64.h: No such file or directory

It looks like the configure script is expecting the system to be 64bit. I tried make clean, edited all files to change -m64 to -m32 but when I run configure, it always ends up with:

-- TopHat 1.0.13 Configuration Results --
    C compiler: gcc -Wall -g -m64 -O3 -DNDEBUG
    C++ compiler: g++ -Wall -g -m64 -O3 -DNDEBUG
    GCC version: gcc (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu9) 4.4.1
    Host System type: i686-pc-linux-gnu
    Install prefix: /home/john/Documents/software/tophat-1.0.13
    Install eprefix: ${prefix}

Both the gcc and g++ have the -m64 flag. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I saw another 2 threads about similar problems installing MAQ but the fixes don't work for TopHat.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Kind regards,

P

Originally posted by poisson200 View Post
    Both the gcc and g++ have the -m64 flag. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I saw another 2 threads about similar problems installing MAQ but the fixes don't work for TopHat.
    Have you tried the tophat configure patch suggested in this thread: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3781 ?

Originally posted by jmarshall View Post
    You can try changing CFLAGS="-m64" on line 4028 of configure to CXXFLAGS="-m64" and rerunning configure, which will hopefully cause different flags to be shown on the "C compiler" and "C++ compiler" lines shown above and will build a 32-bit executable, which you do have a compiler for.

Comment

Originally posted by jmarshall View Post
      Have you tried the tophat configure patch suggested in this thread: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3781 ?
      Hello Marshall,
      Thank you for the suggestion, I just tried it but, alas, it did not work, just the same result:

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -Wall -g -m64 -O3 -DNDEBUG -I./SeqAn-1.1 -Wall -g -m64 -O3 -DNDEBUG -MT reads.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/reads.Tpo -c -o reads.o reads.cpp
      In file included from /usr/include/features.h:378,
      from /usr/include/assert.h:37,
      from /usr/include/c++/4.4/cassert:45,
      from reads.cpp:14:
      /usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:9:27: error: gnu/stubs-64.h: No such file or directory

As you can see, g++ is still running with -m64 option.

Kind regards,

P

Comment

Curious. It works for me, and apparently it worked for the person who was asking in that other thread. Did you "make clean" and rerun configure? Probably best to start from a freshly unpacked tophat directory, edit configure, and only then run configure etc.

If the worst comes to the worst, you could just remove the three occurrences of -m64 in each of Makefile and src/Makefile by hand...

John

Comment

Thanks for your advice John.
          I have tried all variants, including editing the Makefiles themselves. Now I get:
          john@ubuntu:~/Documents/software/tophat-1.0.13$ make
          make all-recursive
          make[1]: Entering directory `/home/john/Documents/software/tophat-1.0.13'
          Making all in src
          make[2]: Entering directory `/home/john/Documents/software/tophat-1.0.13/src'
          g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -Wall -g -m32 -O3 -DNDEBUG -I./SeqAn-1.1 -Wall -g -m32 -O3 -DNDEBUG -MT reads.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/reads.Tpo -c -o reads.o reads.cpp
          In file included from /usr/include/c++/4.4/bits/stl_algobase.h:61,
          from /usr/include/c++/4.4/bits/char_traits.h:41,
          from /usr/include/c++/4.4/string:42,
          from reads.cpp:15:
          /usr/include/c++/4.4/cstddef:52: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘unsigned’
          /usr/include/c++/4.4/cstddef:52: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘unsigned’
          /usr/include/c++/4.4/cstddef:52: error: declaration does not declare anything
          In file included from /usr/include/c++/4.4/string:42,
          from reads.cpp:15:

As you see the -m32 is there but now something else is broken. It could be idiot syndrome in the sense I am missing something obvious.

Thanks.

P.

Comment

same problem here

Hi,

it seems like I have the same problem and I tried to change the CFLAGS to CXXFLAGS but it doesnt seem to work for me either. I am using Ubuntu 8.1

Comment

How to install Tophat-2.0.2 on ubuntu 12.04 32bit????

Comment

I'm not quite sure why you really want to do that. Why not spend the time on installing a 64-bit Ubuntu as dual boot instead, in case you really have to stick to your 32-bit installation?

IMHO I don't quite see the point on working with NGS data on 32-bit OSs these days - you'll run into installation and RAM issues with many software packages, and you'll probably spend more time (=money) on fixing your setup than it would cost (in time and money) to get an appropriate setup. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

So your advice is to change to ubuntu 64-bit????? since im working on NGS data.

Comment

Yes, or any other 64-bit distribution. You do have a 64-bit processor, don't you (I haven't seen a 32-bit processor in years in new PCs)? How much RAM do you have on the machine?

Though some people keep saying there are 32-bit programs that don't run on 64-bit Linux, I haven't encountered anything since 2008 causing real problems on my 64-bit installs. On Windows it's another story, however...

Comment

Thank you so much for your help arvid, you saved me time and money

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses