Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you very much. Now I can open the vi editor with /usr/bin/vi a window open containing : ~
    ~ VIM - Vi IMproved
    ~
    ~ version 7.3
    ~ by Bram Moolenaar et al.
    ~ Vim is open source and freely distributable
    ~
    ~ Help poor children in Uganda!
    ~ type :help iccf<Enter> for information
    ~
    ~ type :q<Enter> to exit
    ~ type :help<Enter> or <F1> for on-line help
    ~ type :help version7<Enter> for version info
    ~
    Then I was setting path :
    export PATH=“/Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics/Bow-tie/bowtie2-2.2.3/:$PATH” and this was my previously setted path. But still it is not working. I think somehow I replaced this path by
    “users/ZILLURRAHMAN/desktop/bioinformatics/bow-tie/bowtie2-2.2.3/BT2_HOME:??
    As I am very new in command line I am making mistakes. Sorry guys I am giving you too much pain.

I can't use http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2618/...with_textedit/ this link cause my open command also not working.

[6]+ Stopped /usr/bin/vim
    Mds-MacBook-Pro:desktop ZILLURRAHMAN$ /usr/bin/vim

[7]+ Stopped /usr/bin/vim
    Mds-MacBook-Pro:desktop ZILLURRAHMAN$ ls
    -bash: ls: command not found
    Mds-MacBook-Pro:desktop ZILLURRAHMAN$ /usr/bin/vim

[8]+ Stopped /usr/bin/vim
    Mds-MacBook-Pro:desktop ZILLURRAHMAN$ open .profile
    -bash: open: command not found
    Mds-MacBook-Pro:desktop ZILLURRAHMAN$ open -a TextEdit .profile
    -bash: open: command not found
    Mds-MacBook-Pro:desktop ZILLURRAHMAN$ cd
    Mds-MacBook-Pro:~ ZILLURRAHMAN$ /usr/bin/vim

[9]+ Stopped /usr/bin/vim
    Mds-MacBook-Pro:~ ZILLURRAHMAN$ /usr/bin/vim

[10]+ Stopped /usr/bin/vim
    Mds-MacBook-Pro:~ ZILLURRAHMAN$ echo $PATH
    “users/ZILLURRAHMAN/desktop/bioinformatics/bow-tie/bowtie2-2.2.3/BT2_HOME:??

May be I am missing something very fundamental line...........

Comment

Can you create a new user account with administrative privileges and see if you are able to get around the problems you are facing with this account? That would also verify that you don't have some other fundamental problem with your OS.

If the new account works properly then we can copy the programs/data over to the new account.

Comment

Thank you very much. I don't know how to create a new user account. Can give me instructions to create a new user account.

Comment

Originally posted by zillur View Post
          Thank you very much. I don't know how to create a new user account. Can give me instructions to create a new user account.

Comment

I don't think you know that you need to open a new Terminal window, or type
            source ~/.bash_profile
            for the changes to the .bash_profile file to take effect.

You simply edited the .bash_profile file.

As far as I can see, you didn't open a new Terminal window or source the .bash_profile file.

Once you do open a new Terminal window or source the .bash_profile file, the changes will take effect, and your PATH environment variable will be updated.

Comment

@Zillur: Reboot your Mac before doing anything (e.g. adding an account). With a mac you may just be used to closing the lid and resuming your work. Opening a new terminal window (apple + t) may be enough as blancha mentions but just to be sure reboot (if you have indeed fixed your PATH variable).

Comment

Thank you very much to you all for your helping hand.
                Mds-MacBook-Pro:~ ZILLURRAHMAN$ source ~/.bash_profile
                -bash: $: command not found

I added a new account and in this account everything is going fine. But I can't find any file from my previous account. I want to send all my files and folders from previous account to new account. Can you suggest me how can I do it?

Regards
                Zillur

Comment

Originally posted by zillur View Post

I added a new account and in this account everything is going fine. But I can't find any file from my previous account. I want to send all my files and folders from previous account to new account. Can you suggest me how can I do it?

Regards
                  Zillur
                  In the new account do the following (hopefully you have enough storage available to duplicate the data temporarily). This is only copying the "Bioinformatics" folder from /Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/, repeat for anything else you need:

Code:
                  $ sudo cp -R /Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics /Users/Current_Acct_Name/Desktop
                  That hopefully should copy everything over to the desktop of the new account. You will need to adjust PATH etc to account for the new account, when you run the programs.

If you are not using "time machine" to keep a backup of your computer do yourself a favor and set this up first thing tomorrow. Get an external drive and get time machine backups going. That way you can roll back a mistake easily.

Comment

Thank you very much for your kind reply. Here is the line with new user. But...

Mds-MacBook-Pro:desktop nemesisnemesis$ $ sudo cp -R /Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics /Users/nemesisnemesis/Desktop
                    Mds-MacBook-Pro:desktop nemesisnemesis$ cd
                    Mds-MacBook-Pro:~ nemesisnemesis$ $ sudo cp -R /Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics /Users/nemesisnemesis/Desktop

Comment

That means things are not working right on your Mac for both (perhaps all accounts).

At this point you could check a couple more locations from this thread (last post in the thread): https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0 Those are /etc/profile and /etc/bashrc.

Note: I am still not sure how you managed to get your system into this state.

I do need to warn you that we are approaching areas of the system that may lead to irreparable damage, if you did something wrong. Perhaps it is time to call upon a friend/colleague who may be more knowledgeable about the command line and show them the problem and this thread.

Comment

I'm also trying to install bowtie. What I did:

download bowtie2-2.1.0-mingW-win64.zip
                        unzip successfully..
                        now what to do next...

Comment

Command lines.

Thank you all very much for your help and patience cause I was asking so many times about the same thing. I have upgrade my OS from OSX to X11 which gave me XQuartz with a new terminal Xterm and here everything is working fine. Like:
                          bash-3.2$ type more
                          more is /usr/bin/more
                          bash-3.2$ type less
                          less is /usr/bin/less
                          bash-3.2$ type cat
                          cat is /bin/cat
                          bash-3.2$ type head
                          head is /usr/bin/head
                          bash-3.2$ type ls
                          ls is hashed (/bin/ls)
                          bash-3.2$

What is the difference between hashed or without hashed?

But still my terminal doesn't work. Can I continue with the XQuartz? or i have to do anything else?

Comment

@zillur: If you have no access to local help and if xterm in XQuartz is working then that is your only choice at this point.

Comment

hiii,
                              i am trying to generate variant calls in VCF format using this command
                              samtools mpileup -uf $BT2_HOME/example/reference/lambda_virus.fa eg2.sorted.bam | bcftools view -bvcg - > eg2.raw.bcf
                              but it generates the output like:
                              [mpileup] 1 sample in 1 input files
                              <mpileup>set max per-file depth to 8000
                              [bcf_sync] incorrect number of fields (0 != 5) at 0:0
                              [afs]0:0:000
                              plz help in solving this problem

Comment

Originally posted by GenomExpert View Post
                                hiii,
                                i am trying to generate variant calls in VCF format using this command
                                samtools mpileup -uf $BT2_HOME/example/reference/lambda_virus.fa eg2.sorted.bam | bcftools view -bvcg - > eg2.raw.bcf
                                but it generates the output like:
                                [mpileup] 1 sample in 1 input files
                                <mpileup>set max per-file depth to 8000
                                [bcf_sync] incorrect number of fields (0 != 5) at 0:0
                                [afs]0:0:000
                                plz help in solving this problem
                                GenomeExpert: Can you please create a new thread for this question (seqanswers.com --> Forums --> Select Appropriate forum --> New thread button on top left)? Please include information about the version of samtools/bcftools you are using.

It would be better since this question is not related to the original topic of this thread/would likely generate a response quicker.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                                0 responses