Hello and happy New Year!! sarodocsaro Introductions 2 01-03-2015 08:27 AM
Happy New Year iStar Introductions 1 01-03-2015 05:02 AM
Hello and Happy New Year Eugen Rempel Introductions 0 12-31-2014 01:57 AM
Hello and Happy Friday IlluminousIon Introductions 0 09-23-2011 12:58 PM

Old 07-09-2018, 04:45 AM   #1
madmolecularman

Talking Happy Coding!

Good Morning All,

This is Jacob Green checking in from the University of Rhode Island. I am a California native and recent BS grad in Molecular Biology with a chemistry minor from California State University Monterey Bay. I got my introduction into bioinformatics through the Logan/Jue lab where we work on applying genomic and transcriptomics to figure out how animals are adapting, dying, or thriving in the face of climate change. Currently, I am on a fellowship in the Puritz lab at URI where we leverage Next-Generation sequencing with novel Bioinformatics techniques to answer questions regarding population connectivity, selection, and seascape genetics. Right now I am working on an Exome sequencing set of data from larval oysters exposed to heat stress. We are using a slew of programs including but not limited to: Trinity, Oases, Transabyss, Itero, BinPacker, Spades, and others to build a robust transcriptome. I am super interested in digging deep into the decision-making process by defining parameters, side-skirting statisical bias in assembly programs, how kmers and coverage change assembly statistics, and what is the best de novo assembler?! I am new to this world of coding and sequencing but quickly have fallen in love over the past 4 years. Hope your day is lovely. I am excited to be apart of this community.

Best Fishes,

Jacob Michael Green
madmolecularman is offline   Reply With Quote