Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picard versus SAMtools ? Which one is better?

I can't even get Picard to run. I despise java and the syntax makes my eyes bleed.

Is it better for me to stick to SAMtools? I can actually get SAM tools to run and it is very straight forward to use.

What is your main goal with either of these tools?

Comment

I'm not really sure, I was just told that they are using for sorting, indexing, and such in order to prepare me for analysis of 20 genomes compared to the reference genome.

Comment

WHile Picard and samtools have certain common modules, there are many features that are exclusive to each tool.

I'm surprised by the not being able to run Picard comment though. Java is like the most platform independent language and you should be able to run Picard easily without any installation issues.

Comment

Interesting... I tried to call the help command in the terminal after i loaded picard using "module load picard" and it didn't work. I can tried entering picard but it didnt work.

Then I checked to see if picard was actually loaded and it was. I'm confused as to what I am doing wrong at this point.

Comment

While I agree with you on your comments on Java in general, picard is a nessessity for some things so I'd suggest giving it another try. I use samtools for indexing and sorting but Picard for conversions and the removal of duplicates. Perhaps your java run time environment is giving you the problems?

Comment

Its helpful to post the actual commands you used, that way others can see if you are making a rather simple mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by chadn737 View Post
                Its helpful to post the actual commands you used, that way others can see if you are making a rather simple mistake.
                I put into the command line the following:

module load picard
                module list

After loading picard, I double checked to make sure it was loaded into the terminal and it was.

I tried using ./picard, picard, picard -h... nothing worked.

I don't get what I'm doing wrong because when I load software such as bwa, fastqc, or anything else I can run the program or get the list of commands associated with the program by typing in ./nameofprogram

Comment

Use:
                  Code:
                  java -Xmx2g -jar xxxxxx.jar <arguments>
                  for example:

Code:
                  java -Xmx2g -jar /path/to/SortSam.jar INPUT=example.sam OUTPUT=example.output.sam SORT_ORDER=coordinate

Comment

ahh ok thank you! Much appreciated, it worked.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses