SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MiSeq Run with low Cluster PF Help dross11 Illumina/Solexa 13 03-23-2015 09:01 AM
Low cluster density with RiboTag Samples dembot RNA Sequencing 0 02-13-2014 10:33 AM
Newbie question: low cluster density on MiSeq (Chip-Seq pool) HelenaSC Sample Prep / Library Generation 12 07-18-2013 08:28 AM
Two lane failures and low cluster density - expired reagents? Turnerac0987 Illumina/Solexa 2 08-25-2011 11:46 AM
RNAseq - low cluster density - possible inhibitor? OnUrMark Sample Prep / Library Generation 11 05-07-2011 08:05 PM

Old 08-28-2017, 01:29 PM   #21
Joanna

Hi guys,

I want to post some updates. As people suggested, we ordered fresh primers and made new libraries. Then loaded 6pM with 30% PhiX spike in. And we also doubled the volume of sequencing primers.

This time we had a cluster density of 854 K/mm2 which has improved but PF% was still very low (48.78%) and yield was also low. Aligned PhiX% was just 15% instead of 30%.

My thought is:
Based on the attached thumbnail images, I feel it was over-clustered this time. And since we sequenced low diversity 16S rRNA gene libraries so we had uneven signal distribution for each cycle. This may cause trouble for the camera to correctly identify clusters. So we saw an overall drop in Q30% and "bleeding" (see attached). But this couldn't explain the low PhiX% than expected. And I also noticed that the Q30% of R2 (the first index read) was especially low. Wondering if others met this before? What do you think is the problem?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png Q30.png (99.2 KB, 9 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf run metrics.pdf (141.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf thumbnails.pdf (1.05 MB, 4 views)
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:11 AM   #22
MU Core

Joanna, looks to me as though you've resolved the library issue with the new primers. I would agree that this particular run is over-clustered. We observe similar quality issues when 16S libraries are clustered at this density. Reduce the cluster density and the Q30% will improve. We target cluster density of 650-750 K/mm2 with a 15% spike-in which works well for us on a MiSeq run. I've provided two attachments that display typical results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Run metric.JPG (57.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Q30plot.JPG (26.1 KB, 7 views)
MU Core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:30 PM   #23
thermophile

lower than expected phiX indicates that your quant was off. If you loaded your library to get 30% and only could align 15% phiX, that means that your 16S was approximately twice as concentrated as you thought so took up twice as many spots on the flowcell as you planned. Recovering roughly the amount of phiX as you put on is a decent indication that your library quant was correct