SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to get deletion count from bam file in IGV? nottsbio Bioinformatics 6 07-22-2015 05:08 AM
What is deletion? huanggm General 6 09-25-2012 05:17 AM
IGV v2 performance much worse than IGV 1.5? pmiguel Bioinformatics 1 05-17-2012 08:05 PM
deletion mapping problem StefanP Bioinformatics 3 10-06-2011 04:20 AM
How to detect real deletion or gaps in sequencing projects watashi Bioinformatics 0 08-01-2008 02:15 PM

Old 08-23-2017, 04:25 AM   #1
muratisbilen

Default I cannot detect a deletion which is seen by IGV

Hi everybody,

I use samtools and bcftools 1.4.1 for variant calling. However, I cannot detect deletions for a specific position. In fact, when I visualize my data in IGV (by Broad Institute) I can see an obvious heterozygous deletion from T to no nucleotide (52% T, 45% - , 3% others) at 3294155th position of chr16 (hg19). However, samtools and bcftools cannot detect this deletion. What could be the reason for that? How can I modify my code shown below to call this deletion?

samtools mpileup -ABuvf ~/Desktop/Analysis/hg19/hg19.fa ${outpath}/sortedBowtieOut.sam -o ${outpath}/mpileup.vcf

bcftools call -v -c -O v -o ${outpath}/sortedBowtieOut_samtools_raw_variants.vcf ${outpath}/mpileup.vcf

Thanks, Kind Regards,
muratisbilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:30 AM   #2
gringer
David Eccles (gringer)

Samtools mpileup has its own INDEL correction, which may be influencing the results that you're seeing. You could try skipping this (option `-I) and seeing if it changes the results.
gringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

I'd suggest trying a different variant caller. The one I wrote (callvariants.sh in the BBMap package) works very well for calling indels from Illumina data, in terms of concordance with what you see in IGV.
Brian Bushnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:43 AM   #4
muratisbilen

Thanks guys but neither of them worked. callvariants.sh gives an out of memory error :/

To test the ability of bcftools to detect INDELs, I generated a dummy data, which includes 100 forward and 100 reverse reads. Among these, 50% of the paired reads have a deletion on a specific position. bcftools still cannot detect such a pure deletion. How can I use/change parameters to make bcftools call such indels?

Regards,
muratisbilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #5
finswimmer

Hello,

can you post a screenshot of IGV in this region? If I found it correctly, this is a position in a homopolymer run (11xT) which is typical not easy to sequence, align and discover a variant.

As Brian suggested try out another variant caller. My favorite is freebayes.

fin swimmer
finswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote